The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I'm still not too sure if it was really green or if it was due to the pine pellets mixing with their black skin. I have since switched them to sand and a bigger coop. I was planning on giving them all another once over Saturday. I have pics in my thread. I'm on my phone now but I posted the link like 2-3 posts ago. I'm still not sure but read that they can leak to a green color

EDIT:
FXDUen4l.jpg

This is what I'm talking about

I raise mine on pine and have never had that happen, the bedding should not affect their skin color. I've never had mine leak to a green color, it's a totally new thing to me. Maybe other breeders will chime in about it.

Edit: Saw your picture, to me that's not the skin turning green. That's semi-poor expression of fibro causing the white skin to 'show through' the black.

Last edited:
OK that makes since. This is the only one I see who has it, and I already ordered a dozen eggs that are incubating at the moment from a different line to help better my chances. Thank you

My opinion is that new breeders should not cull anything. Grow them all out. Every one. Once mature and you have selected your best, grow out all their offspring. Keep notes. Then you will get first hand experience what white is and how birds with white toes or white toenails or white feathers most likely will mature. You will gain first hand experience and have a pretty good guess how birds with pink mouths or pink skin, or white skin, or green legs most likely will mature. Don't rely on what other people tell you. Find out for yourself. Find out what your breeders are producing. This goes beyond raising purchase chicks or raising chicks hatched from purchased eggs.

Once you get comfortable with what your breeders produce, then and only then can you make educated guesses on which chicks most likely will not make the cut and should most likely be culled. Every time you introduce a new line, you'll need to repeat the process of growing out several batches of chicks from your new breeding set up so that you'll know what this new combination of genetics will produce.

Keep in mind the goal is to improve. Your best may be somebody else's culls, but with patience it won't take you long to achieve a great flock. But no matter how good your flock gets, you will still have culls. What I cull now is better than my best two years ago. My goal is to be able to keep saying that, to be able to say my current culls are better than yesterday's breeders.

Do yourself a favor and put in the time now growing out all your chicks. You will learn so much more from personal experience.

Well said, cj...

And that goes beyond Cemani's... even chickens, really... breeding anything new you should always find out what each generation produces and strive to improve it each step of the way...

I always recommend reading the heritage breeding threads, no matter if they're different breeds than their own... lots of good info and advice can be gained, especially from ones like Bob Blosl, for example... hellbender is another... Kev and nicalandia for complicated genetics... and many others I can't think of off the top of my head...

Learn what you can from others, but more importantly learn what you can from your own stock...

Yeah, on top of that many of them were jumbo sized! Some barely fit into the carton. I thought they laid medium sized eggs.. I got them on eBay. It was actually a second chance offer. I got a great deal too. 36 eggs for $84 including shipping. Seller has decent feedback as well, but we'll see what actually comes out of the eggs..

Im new here, Hi everyone... I tried hatching some of Cjs eggs, I didn't get any to hatch, When are yours supposed to hatch @bullets ? I would like to see how you like the quality of these, I might be interested in the name of the seller!

Back
Top Bottom