The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Ok so my chicks are around 1-2 months old and I've finally gotten the chance to check in their mouths without worrying I'm going to break them only to find out that I think every one of them have white tongues... Now will their tongues darken as they get older? If not, is this a major flaw and should I avoid trying to breed this group at all and just try to get more eggs/chicks? Or let them grow up to see how they turn out? I'm more interested in just breeding true to the breed over anything else, but starter stock is hard to come buy with these guys, but I don't want to dilute the genes anymore if I can help it.

Any thoughts? I have a thread with (I hope) detailed pics of each chick (minus their tongues) if anyone needs a better idea on where they would rank.

Grow them all out first before making any permanent decisions... mouths may or may not darken... from what I understand dark mouths are hard to get here in the US... as long as you select the best, hatch everything you can and cull hard you'll make progress... perfection is not realistic for any breed, but striving and breeding towards it is what counts... jmo... :)

Thank you for that. I was worried it would end up being a major flaw. This is my first time with this breed and I'm just so worried I'm going to make a huge mistake.

Just got 3 dozen AC eggs today. I didn't realize how gorgeous the eggs are! Light colored, tan, pinkish and purpleish! Is this normal egg color?

Just got 3 dozen AC eggs today. I didn't realize how gorgeous the eggs are! Light colored, tan, pinkish and purpleish! Is this normal egg color?

All the ones I got from cj were pinkish, mostly I think... one of my pullets from those is laying an *almost* tan... so I think so... heard they range from cream to tan in the US... where did you get them from? Just curious... :)

All the ones I got from cj were pinkish, mostly I think... one of my pullets from those is laying an *almost* tan... so I think so... heard they range from cream to tan in the US... where did you get them from? Just curious... :)

Yeah, on top of that many of them were jumbo sized! Some barely fit into the carton. I thought they laid medium sized eggs.. I got them on eBay. It was actually a second chance offer. I got a great deal too. 36 eggs for $84 including shipping. Seller has decent feedback as well, but we'll see what actually comes out of the eggs..

Last edited:
Yeah, on top of that many of them were jumbo sized! Some barely fit into the carton. I thought they laid medium sized eggs.. I got them on eBay. It was actually a second chance offer. I got a great deal too. 36 eggs for $84 including shipping. Seller has decent feedback as well, but we'll see what actually comes out of the eggs..

PMing you...

Does anyone have any feedback on Feather Lovers Farm? I just got 6 chicks from them they are all healthy and beautiful but all have at least 1 clear or white foot.

Here are the 5 I got from them about a month ago. I've heard good things about them and since the breed is still a work in progress, there are never any guarantees on the chicks. Did you get the Green Fire line or their new import line? Some have said they have had toes and feet darken as they age, some say they have theirs lighten. I have 1 chick with two white toes, and one chick with legs starting to turn green, but they keep changing as they get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom