The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

:welcome!

Well, you could breed him with any hen you wanted. If you want purebred ayam cemanis you of course need to breed him with ayam cemani hens.

Thanks I have always lived on a farm but never had chickens growing up. We bought a few chickens this spring then ran across someone wanting to sell out, we were only gonna buy a few hens and a rooster but when it was all over I ended up with about 60 chickens! I have been doing some research but couldn't find much on cross breeding my rooster with some of my other hens because I don't have an ayam cemani hen. I have white crested polish, buff bantams, light braham bantams, choc orpingtons, choc cuckoo orps, barred rock, RIR, Americana, Marans, silkies, and a few other breeds but just not sure if I should let him breed any of them or wait until I get an ayam cemani hen. I appreciate any and all help! Thanks!!

Dilemma time, lol... had 3 cockerels but already culled 1 for gold leakage in his hackles... down to 2 and thought I had a clear winner, but not so sure now...

Right cockerel had been the dominant and I love his comb, form and especially his attitude... left one has an awful kinked comb and a not so perfect attitude... not aggressive per se, but very overbearing... he's replaced the other as dominant but also picks on the more docile one as well...

They're in opposite sides in this pic...

Anyways, the nicer form and temperament cockerel is slightly less fibro than the other cockerel... not by much, but a little... also not sure if it's just because his comb and wattles have grown out bigger and longer that it looks that way... they're not as red as the pics make them look, still haven't figured out how to get accurate color to show in pics...

So my question is, I know fibro is most important in Cemanis but is it the only important part? Do the other points add up to the better choice as a whole, or should the choice be made only for deeper fibro no matter what?

Raising my first batch of Ayams from Feather Lover Farms in CA. Ended up with four roosters and only one hen! Will work on selling a few of my boys once I get my 20 posts down. Anyone doing hybrid experiments? I've got other breeds of hens on the farm and have put one of the roosters in with them to see what hatches.

Svart Hona's were developed in Sweden for better adaptation to the cold and I think better egg layers (anyone correct me please!). What breeds were they developed from. I was told that they are derived from the AC, so are close 'cousins'. Is that correct? What other breeds were used, or were the changes from breeding specific body types?

Another thought--I just read that AC are birchen based? Does anyone know, besides the FM mutation, some of the genetics of the AC? I believe the FM only applies to skin, organs and not to feathering. So do they have the same genes for black feathering that other black feathered breeds have? The 'leakage' due to other genes they have expressing rather than the full black???

Thanks!

Google Fibromelanosis in chickens or poultry and you should get some of the scientific studies. The Silkie is the most studied I think. And from what I have read the SH is derived from the AC.

Back
Top Bottom