The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
I for one cull at hatch, I know from hatching plenty and growing some out, what I'm going to get out of them if I don't cull. So besides wasting my time and money on birds that I know will be culled later on, I just do a hard cull at hatch. Since I am now hatching my 3rd generation off of the one line, I am not having to cull as hard at hatch due to getting better chicks now, and hopefully will not have to cull as hard either once they are around 5 to 6 months. It is a lot of work, but it is also worth it once you see where it takes you and your birds.

Well Randy since you are miles above me in your breeding expertise I will grow them out before culling for the first few generations while I learn than hopefully can do as you do and end up with better birds every generation. My plan was to grow all the birds out and the ones that don't measure up just transfer to our meat birds or (if you think it's ethical) to sell them as "pet quality" to backyard chicken families and an affordable price? Maybe have a no breed certificate that goes with them? Just thinking so people who want the personality or rarity but could never afford a proper one? (this is what my family use to do when breeding dogs but those you could spay or neuter before selling) Just thoughts, Thankyou

Last edited:
Well Randy since you are miles above me in your breeding expertise I will grow them out before culling for the first few generations while I learn than hopefully can do as you do and end up with better birds every generation. My plan was to grow all the birds out and the ones that don't measure up just transfer to our meat birds or (if you think it's ethical) to sell them as "pet quality" to backyard chicken families and an affordable price? Maybe have a no breed certificate that goes with them? Just thinking so people who want the personality or rarity but could never afford a proper one? (this is what my family use to do when breeding dogs but those you could spay or neuter before selling) Just thoughts, Thankyou

I very seldom let any of my culls leave my place, and if they do, they only go to two people right now that I trust 100% with what they will and are doing with them. Other than that, I cull them, because I have tried in the past to give other breeds of chickens away just as pets and was promised that they would not breed. Well most of them would breed and sell every single chick that hatched and tied my name to them. So I do not recommend at all letting them go for pets, unless they know that person very very well. All most people see with this breed right now is $$$ and will breed culls and sell culls.

Last edited:
I actually didn't sell any Cemani until I was on my third generation. The cull roosters just got processed and given to my friends. Believe it or not but they have just as much value as food in certain cultures as they do for show. The Hmong are a good example of that. Many Hmong women would eat a diet of black meat chickens after childbirth for 30 days. They believe that the black meat helps repair their bodies after childbirth. If I can find the link to the research paper on the subject I will post it later. But the point I am trying to make is that your culls may have value to someone other than a budding business.

And don't worry. People that want Ayam Cemani but can't afford them already have one option. I am giving away eggs from my "Smithies" for free. So you don't really need to sell culls. If people want them, I can give them the Smities eggs for free. Or I am sure that anyone that receives the eggs from me will probably also give them for free or for a very low price. And I know some Cemani breeders are also giving away their improved lines for free as well. So if people really want Ayam Cemani but can't afford them, there are already low cost or free options. Plus it is just a matter of time before a hatchery begins selling Ayam Cemani in large amounts.

Yes, others showed signs of sickness but not cocci. It was an upper respiratory thing, which is why I had to go the tylan route. Otherwise I normally do not like to use medication on my flocks, but sneezing, wheezing needed to be taken care of.

Jheesh! I hope you all get (or stay) well soon!

Is there a north east cemani co op
No but there is a group of breeders that have been talking for over a year about forming an official club. Right now it is a private Facebook group of breeders in the U.S which is invite only to weed out the scammers. Originally it was just formed to setup a chick and egg exchange and share in private without the negativity. But it will most likely evolve into an official club. I think most of us in the group have been just focusing our energy around breeding and building out flocks.

What is the the interest level in making an official Ayam Cemani Club for people in the U.S? Although it might actually be better to call it a the American FM Breed Club to include all the various breeds such as Ayam Cemani, Ayam Kedu, Svart Hona, Ogye, and Hmong.

It ended up being a respritory infection probably from when I moved them from the barn to their coop outside and went crazy with sweet pdz powder everywhere.

Live and learn right?

Back
Top Bottom