The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Can anyone corroborate a connection between incubation temperatures and better (or worse) coloration at hatch?

I just had 9 AC chicks hatch, having been unable to get the temperature in my incubator above 98.6 the whole time (I tried. I need to replace the disc thermostat). They hatched about a day late, with (fortunately) fewer pip-and-dies than last time (when I had the humidity too high in the hatcher). BUT every single one of this bunch has quite a bit of white, which is statistically off for the birds from this pen. I've gotten a lot of toetips and wingtips before, but this is....more.

Could temperature during development have an effect on the migration of melanism in the skin? I know it shouldn't, but this is really a very unusual outcome from these birds.

Can anyone corroborate a connection between incubation temperatures and better (or worse) coloration at hatch?

I just had 9 AC chicks hatch, having been unable to get the temperature in my incubator above 98.6 the whole time (I tried. I need to replace the disc thermostat). They hatched about a day late, with (fortunately) fewer pip-and-dies than last time (when I had the humidity too high in the hatcher). BUT every single one of this bunch has quite a bit of white, which is statistically off for the birds from this pen. I've gotten a lot of toetips and wingtips before, but this is....more.

Could temperature during development have an effect on the migration of melanism in the skin? I know it shouldn't, but this is really a very unusual outcome from these birds.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's purely genetic. While there are some animals, such as the siamese cat, whose coloration changes with temperatures, I'm 99% certain that it doesn't happen with cemanis. If it did, in the wintertime the birds would turn whiter.

Reprising fermented feed: I can't get my AC chicks to eat it yet, but stirred half and half with dry crumble to the consistency of damp crumble, they gorge. I figure any amount of the beneficial bacteria is better than none.

Reprising fermented feed: I can't get my AC chicks to eat it yet, but stirred half and half with dry crumble to the consistency of damp crumble, they gorge. I figure any amount of the beneficial bacteria is better than none.

That's what I had to do to entice my own chickens. Now, they seem to enjoy it by itself, but it did take about a week.

Back
Top Bottom