The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I'm crossing the lines for genetic diversity, although if I wanted to I could separate out my trio of TMA lines to keep them pure. I'm only working with the TMA and GFF lines and I don't have a GFF rooster so I have to cross the TMA and GFF lines if I want any offspring from my GFF pullets.

As for my culls, any that hatch not all black are culled from the breeding flock. If I sell them as chicks I always just call them mixed breed chicks so no one gets any ideas about breeding sub par birds. If I keep them and grow them out, pullets go in my layer flock and cockerels are dinner if I can't find someone who wants them for their flock - again just calling them mixed breed birds.

Line breeding is done in most breeds and I don't see why it would be frowned upon in this breed in particular as long as you don't inbreed them for too many generations.

I've set up a three pen spiral breeding program. Each pen has an unrelated roo - a GFF, a TMA, and a GFF/TMA. In spiral breeding, all females stay in the pen they hatched from while males get rotated.

I've set up a three pen spiral breeding program.  Each pen has an unrelated roo - a GFF, a TMA, and a GFF/TMA.  In spiral breeding, all females stay in the pen they hatched from while males get rotated.

This might sound strange... But I'm smart enough to know which egg comes from which hen. I am in the process of tagging them according to their mother, as they all have the same father.

I have some GFF grow outs that look outstanding. At that point of lay, I will start moving them around.

However, it's evident that subpar stock can create both very dark to non fibro birds. This is why I am not selling.

Last edited:
This might sound strange... But I'm small enough to know which egg comes from which hen. I am in the process of tagging them according to their mother, as they all have the same father.

I have some GFF grow outs that look outstanding. At that point of lay, I will start moving them around.

However, it's evident that subpar stock can create both very dark to non fibro birds. This is why I am not selling.

This sounds like a very smart method. It will be interesting hear how the GFF hens do in ur setup. Please keep us posted!

This sounds like a very smart method. It will be interesting hear how the GFF hens do in ur setup. Please keep us posted!

Thank you! I, at first, found it very strange that they all laid such different eggs! However, it's working towards an advantage. I have the ability to keep better records! My current roo and 2 hens are a GFF/TMA/MB cross, and a GFF hen as my third layer. So far, the mixed hens have thrown a lot of white skin and white toes/feet. My GFF hen has produced some very dark offspring with the only noticeable fault being white nails - with a black quick, leading me to believe that the nails will turn black. Other than that, she also produces VERY small offspring. Every week, with every hatch, I am updating my records of EVERY chick... Such as how their faults are going away, getting worse, etc.

I will say though... My little "experiments" have proven that pairing your best faulty bird with a pretty decent bird can produce the eventual superior offspring. I'm enjoying this little scientific road I've chosen!

Got a few cemani to hatch they are pure black as chicks toes and all the others in the picture are hybreds of cemani and jungle fowl and other breeds but the all black ones (x2) of them are pure cemani hoping they stay all black as they age

For my birthday my hubby gifted me with a dozen Ayam Cemani eggs, supposedly from Green Fire lines. Out of the dozen, I managed to hatch two chicks. They are 3.5 weeks old now and very personable. I hope they really are Ayam Cemani chicks as I have read that there are some less than reputable sources out there, but to my amateur eyes they really SEEM to be what they claim.. even their little tongues are black. Awesome personalities on these little birds.

I wanted to share some pics :)

Do you think they are really Ayam Cemani? Does it look to you like I have a little pullet on the left and a little roo on the right?

Congrats, a beautiful pair! They do look like ayam cemanis. Where did your husband get them? I wouldn't mind getting a few eggs from that stock to add to my bloodlines.

Back
Top Bottom