The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Bren- so if you breed a black to a paint what colors will the offspring be? Can they be white, paint, or black? I wonder if the blacks are like a split?

I am getting paints, black and some solid white which may turn out to show black with they feather out. For now I am getting 50% paints.

Here is one of the loud chicks

39064_adam_8.jpg

Here is a group of day olds I hatched out just before Shawnee show.

39064_day_old_paints_5.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Because the thought is that the dominant white has "holes" in it (the paint gene that no one has identified yet) that allows the black to come through. If you use a recessive white, you will not get the spots. Recessive white is a "stronger" white gene and most American white silkies are recessive white.

I feel that no one can say that you will not get spots with A recessive white for sure yet, to many factors and way to soon. Also, how does anyone know that most American whites carry the ressesive gene? What's most, I'd like a percentage please lol. Just saying, all these answers on this thread should be started with "no on knows for sure, but I think...." just because of all the unknowns. I'd just hate to see people not try and breed paints or feel deterred because one individual has come on this thread and stated facts that are unknown about breeding paints or carriers to whites. I am one who is breeding white American silkies to black paint gene carrier silkies and if I believed what people said on this forum, would be discuaraged or even give up because supposedly I won't be able to make paints with this combination. Just giving my 2 sense to be a bit more careful when posting on this thread when there is SOOOO MANY unknowns. We need people to breed these and try different color/pattern breedings to see what works and what doesn't, so try not shut the door on ones intentions so fast when truly you don't know the truth about the facts that you are giving. Thanks

Chad, there is much more genetic information on the paint thread at The Coop. You might want to check that out. I believe that most of the posts have been begun with "no one really knows....". I think that everyone is aware that we really don't know much about the genetics of paints and that's why it is a work in progress.

That said, Siggy has been breeding them for about 15 years and does have quite a bit of experience in what produces what. Again, her thread about her experience is at The Coop.

As Deb said in her auction, this project is not for the faint of heart...but it is not a total crap shoot either. There are some things that are known about the way genes/alleles work and this can be applied to this situation as well.

I have no idea what the percentage of dominant versus recessive whites in the U.S. is, but again, this is discussed at The Coop. Wishing you every success in your paint breeding program!!

I will have to check out the coop. Sounds like that's where people should go if you have a question or want to get answers. Jerry has told me that Sigs has informed him that there is no proven facts that you cannot breed to american white and get Paint chicks, in fact jerry has produced paint babies from that breeding. I feel that people using the Dutch paint line and want to improve/create American Paint Silkies would want to use a White American Silkie over a blue or black via time spent on perfecting that indivial color to the standard of perfection and furthest along in our country, be the quickest way to help type on these paint in my opinion, so one can only hope that you are wrong, and breeding black paint carriers with whites will work.

Last edited:
so repetitive breeding to black seems to be the way to go for bigger spots? reminds me of putting a paper towel on ink, the more ink underneath the paper the bigger spots.

World-wide, silkies are one of the breeds known for being recesive white. That does not rule out dominant white also being present, but in general, it would be an exception. Dominant white is considerably more leaky than recessive white.

Sometimes a phenotype (appearance) occurs due to a combination of genes (lacing, for exanple) and otehr times due to an individual gene (mottling, for example). Right now no one knows which is the case with paint, but Sigi has postulated paint as an allele of dominant white.

Back
Top Bottom