The American Paint Silkie

Pics
Quote:
Yes...and I agree that it's more of a taupe color than buff. Some call it a smoky color....greyish.

I think of it as dun or kaki bleeding through the white. I have some that are dusted with that all over.

Quote:
Awesome byc page. Love your writing style. I read nearly every article, and enjoyed them all. Have fun with your girls, and thanks for sharing!

Ok I went back to the first page and reread how paint silkies started. I am pretty slow person when it comes to learning through reading. I do better experiencing. So I still have to ask if paints are from black hens to white rooster where does the other colors come from in them ?

Whites can and do hide just about everything. Even blacks hide genes.

Remember, all chickens have 38 chromosome pairs, each with many genes. Whatever mix of genes an animal has contribute to its appearance. In most cases, the presence of a single gene (or even a matched pair) does not turn OFF all the other genes present in a bird, and even the ones that effectively turn off other genes do not prevent them from being passed to offspring.

Yes, I agree that taupe is a better description of the off-colour, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like a champagne colour to me
wink.png

However, the first photo of Tuper's birds looks more like buff than the off typical colouring. Second photo looks more typical.

Back
Top Bottom