The American Paint Silkie

My babies hatched! One left to go. 4 blacks and a pink skinned white. Soooooo that was unexpected. They come from good breeding. I don't have spotted paints to breed to them though. Black and black will make black right? Or is there a chance for a paint in that breeding?
Here they are! :) They come from really nice paints, I just got less spots than I had planned for, but I love them anyway. :)

oh my gosh!! These are sooo beautiful. I wish I could take such wonderful pictures of my chicks. I had one chick like your second picture, and she is one of my most beautiful blacks. We call her Black Bean, cause she was black with sour cream eye brows. :) I love the reverse paint, (picture right before white one). I wonder if she will turn black - that is a lot of white.

Thank you. :) Your birds are beautiful! I'm jealous of all the spots lol :) We are all wondering the same thing. It was a big discussion yesterday on the fb silkie site. I hope she keeps the white. Some pretty experienced breeders are very surprised about the amount of white on her and the pigment holes on her feet. She came from Paint x paint breeding we think. I got eggs from two pens from the breeder. One was paint x paint pen the othe paint x black. The jet black chicks Im sure came from the black paint cross parentage, but the gray and white chick is a mystery. The breede has bred a lot of blacks from paints but none like this one. Another breeder hatched one like her yesterday about an hour after fawning over mine, so shes happy lol. She said that out of probably 100 black chicks from her paints, she has never had a black like this. she says shes sure it isnt black, but that the chicks, hers and mine,are paints.

Oh and as far as taking pictures goes, Im not a very good photographer, its easy to do if you want to try. Pick a contrasting backdrop and base. So with black chicks I found a cream colored pillow. Set up next to a window so that the light comes in from the side. Not full sunlight though. I just pulled my curtains behind the chicks and put my camera on macro. Take as many of each as you can quickly (so they dont get cold lol) and hope you get a good one. HA. I get one good one out of every 5 or ten pictures.

Last edited:
Ok, showing my complete Silkie ignorance here ... some chicks have big powder puff top-knot heads. In a recent post just before mine here by kabhyper1, chicks 1, 2, 4 & 5 have a taller head profile. Others have smaller, normal chicken heads. Same post I referenced before, chick 3 has a normal chick head. Help me with Silkie anatomy, what does the difference in the head types mean to Silkies as they grow up?
-Cindy

Ok, showing my complete Silkie ignorance here ... some chicks have big powder puff top-knot heads. In a recent post just before mine here by kabhyper1, chicks 1, 2, 4 & 5 have a taller head profile. Others have smaller, normal chicken heads. Same post I referenced before, chick 3 has a normal chick head. Help me with Silkie anatomy, what does the difference in the head types mean to Silkies as they grow up?
-Cindy
From my experience, my hugely vaulted chicks from my own birds mind you, have been girls. I don't know how the genetics work, but its been pretty random who throws what in my flock. I havent noticed a huge difference once the creats come in, sometimes the large vaults will make a larger crest. Is that clear a mud? LOL hopefully someone that knows more than me can help.

Finally hatched my first batch of Thanksgiving babies!!
4 paints, and 1 buff. All healthy and beautiful!
Thanks Suzierd! I just love them! :)

Last edited:
[COLOR=000000] Finally hatched my first batch of Thanksgiving babies!! [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000] 4 paints, and 1 buff. All healthy and beautiful! [/COLOR] [COLOR=000000] Thanks Suzierd! I just love them! :)[/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
Your welcome! They are adorable!
1f60a.png

Hi there all,I'm new to all this. As painted silkies are still rare in England. I have a nice breeding group of them. I know if you put a paint roo with black hens. They get darker spots. What would I put with the painted hens. To make them darker. And also I have a red paint roo what I have been told. What would I put to him to make more or better. I've seen that buff hens are for that. But what is buff. As we have golds here.

Back
Top Bottom