* * * The APA's "Flock Certification Program * * *

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
Folks, for those of your who have not read the following, this was posted in the last APA newsletter. I spoke with an APA representative, who has given me permission to re-post the information here:

Flock Certification Program

The American Poultry Association (APA) has received several inquires in
recent months concerning a flock certification program. It seems that there
are individuals offering flock certification services, via the internet, and are
mentioning that APA in their advertising. It should be known that the APA
does not endorse any individuals advertising flock certification programs nor
do we oversee or offer a flock certification program at this time.

The APA is looking into the feasibility of such a program and, if we go for-
ward with it, we will certainly inform the public through our website and the
various poultry publications. However, until that happens, please enter into
any flock certification agreements at your own risk.

I would strongly urge that if you've been contacted by anyone claiming to be able to certify your flock with any sort of APA underwriting, please contact Walt Leonard on here (Fowlman01), who is an APA official.

Last edited:
To charge you $1200.00 for the initial consult and 300+ a year after that. It is strictly about money.

Walt

Sometimes I wish I didn't have any self respect or sense of ethics, then I could get in on this gravy train. Unfortunately I have to be able to live with myself.

Walt/Bill - I suspect that most folks who've been breeding heritage-type birds for some time would be suspicious if someone approached them in this way. That's actually how I learned about this over a year ago. Someone here on BYC contacted me and asked me what I knew, he had been contacted about certifying his flock. I immediately called Walt, who let me know what was going on. So...the word does get out, but it's more the newer breeder that has me worried.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have any self respect or sense of ethics, then I could get in on this gravy train. Unfortunately I have to be able to live with myself.
yuckyuck.gif
"How do you sleep at night?"
"On silk sheets surrounded by money"

Oh, those darn ethics!!!

Back
Top Bottom