The April 2021 Local Feed Prices Thread

Red-Stars-in-RI

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Rhode Island
Picked up some feed today, and figured maybe I'd start a thread about local food prices. Hope others find this fun and share your local prices.

My purchases were made today, April 7th at Tractor Supply in Coventry, RI. Prices do not include sales tax.

Dumur Layer Pellet 50 lb - $14.49

Producer's Pride Whole Corn 50 lb - $10.49

Purina Gamebird & Turkey Starter (30%) 40 lb - $17.99

Oyster Shell 50 lb - $12.49

I bought 3 bags of the layer pellet, plus some cat food....so I got LOTS of exercise unloading. :D

As odd as it may sound...I’m actually glad to hear this is the case, since it makes logical sense.

Shipping something heavy from Iowa to the northeast SHOULD make it cost more.

So much of supply-side economics doesn’t pass the “yup, that makes sense” test, though!
When I lived in Florida, the oranges we bought at the grocery store were from California... I always wondered at it.

50# Nutrena Country Feeds 16% Layer, 13.50 on 04/07/21

Not chicken feed but for comparison, all 50#: Stock & Stable 12% sweet = 10.99
Proforce Senior (horse) = 25.49
Western Hay Alfalfa Pellets = 17.99
Most shocking to me was a brass double end snap (4 3/4") $6.49!
(I'ma gonna take better care of my leads and bucket hooks!)

Oh yeah, that was Zachary Feed in Louisiana!

I haven't noticed any price increase with what I feed, however my feed costs are, well, higher overall. 😅

Payback organic layer pellets, #50 - $31.99
Scratch & Peck organic grower, #40 - $31.29

Couldn't find any oyster shell today so went without, as I still have half a bag at home.
Those prices would crush me. I'm feeding 50# a week, and happy that's all it is. Actually, I might be feeding more than 50# a week, I'm pulling from three bags right now to blend my own. Plus goats. My last 500# of feed was just over $100, and I'm break even with egg and chick sales, less the cost of licensing.

:cool: We eat most of my eggs at work. I keep enough for household use and supply some older folks who sincerely appreciate farm eggs.
The guys at work take my eggs for granted until I have vacation and they have to eat pale, store bought eggs for a week!
This past year, I've donated 100s of eggs (maybe a couple thousands) to the local school board employees, an elderly neighbor up the way who was born in a log cabin nearby most of a hundred years ago, and a couple down the street barely getting by. Good neighbors all, what they've offered in support and advice more than pays for the hundreds of eggs they've taken off my hands this year.

My wife and I sure could not have eaten them all.

Back
Top Bottom