The April 2021 Local Feed Prices Thread

50# Nutrena Country Feeds 16% Layer, 13.50 on 04/07/21

Not chicken feed but for comparison, all 50#: Stock & Stable 12% sweet = 10.99
Proforce Senior (horse) = 25.49
Western Hay Alfalfa Pellets = 17.99
Most shocking to me was a brass double end snap (4 3/4") $6.49!
(I'ma gonna take better care of my leads and bucket hooks!)

Oh yeah, that was Zachary Feed in Louisiana!

I was just thinking about this! Here's what I was just about to post:

I was working on my receipts in the "Chicken Tracker" spreadsheet, and thinking ahead about my next feed purchase, and noticed how some prices have changed on the things I buy often. There's lots of talk about prices going up, on everything from feed to gas to groceries; here's what I'm seeing in my area in NE Texas.

Feed - it seems Purina & Dumor feeds have gone up 50 cents across the board, with Purina going off sale, back to regular price; Nutrena went up $1.30 but is on sale now for $1 off - so net increase of 30 cents.

Manna Pro Oyster Shell & Grit - increased 50 cents each

Supplements - some stayed the same, like Hydro Hen and Rooster Booster products

Nutri-Drench 4 oz increased $2 - after going up $1 last year - I think they're really taking advantage of the let's-get-chickens-during-lockdown situation...

Poultry Aid spray rebranded as Poultry HealXcel - also increased $2

Hen Healer ointment - increased $1

Corid 16oz went up to $19.99 - not sure what it was last year; seems like it was $16-18 the last time I bought it, but don't remember when that was!

16% Layer pellets at my local feed mill increased 90 cents on a 50lb bag

I figure prices vary some by region, but the increases might be uniform? Anyway, keeping backyard chickens may be more mainstream now, and the involved retail parties have noticed. Happy chickening! :)

I got a 50 lb bag of 20% Kalmbach organic all flock for $16.03 a few weeks ago. Not at TSC; they don't carry that brand here. It was an independent farm supply place. I plan to get my feed there from now on, whenever possible. It's farther away than TSC, but not that much.
Wow that’s a great price.

I haven't noticed any price increase with what I feed, however my feed costs are, well, higher overall. 😅

Payback organic layer pellets, #50 - $31.99
Scratch & Peck organic grower, #40 - $31.29

Couldn't find any oyster shell today so went without, as I still have half a bag at home.
Those prices would crush me. I'm feeding 50# a week, and happy that's all it is. Actually, I might be feeding more than 50# a week, I'm pulling from three bags right now to blend my own. Plus goats. My last 500# of feed was just over $100, and I'm break even with egg and chick sales, less the cost of licensing.

Back
Top Bottom