The "are quail worth it" answer thread

My 2¢ worth...................I'm not in it for the money, first of all. I've always wanted to try my luck at raising them. To me, "quail" means "Bobwhite", as that's what I've always hunted, and IMO, threre's no finer meat when it comes to poultry............AGAIN, that's me!!! I've only been it this hobby for a year, although I've been wanting to do this for years and years. It's addictive!!! Hatching is addictive!!!........at least for me, it is. I'm feeding ~225 Bobs right now..........got 80 in the bator due 7/5, and gonna keep on hatching until cool weather sets in. What does it take to make money on them???? Heck, I don't know........but just coming in from work ever day to tend to the 1+ year-olds......down to the 2 week-olds soothes my soul. I love'em. I enjoy taking care for them. I love cooking, and eating them.....and my family raves over them. Would I like to tackle the hassle of maintaining 1000......2000 of them??? Maybe!! I don't think I could find the time now, but if I had the time and $$$$ to do so, I'd dive into it. Again, it's addictive.....it's become a passion for me. Just hearing the Bobs whistlings at daybreak and sundown alone will soothe the soul. And yeah, I can go down there, get 10 birds, and process them in a heart-beat......and not have any regrets what-so-ever. That's what I raise them for. Got tons of folks wanting to buy some, but I tell them I'm not that big yet........I'm not that blessed with them. Again, they're delicious....and they're table-fare only for now. If you're making $$$$ on them, more power to'ya!!! I'll have to sharpen my pencil a little more precise when that becomes my goal!!!
smile.png

Quote:
Every study that has been done on meat type quail has an avg.. of the quail eating 1/2oz food per day.. that is from day old to 8 weeks old.. the avg will me ALOT higher when they are held past 8 weeks of age!

ACTUALLY I find that my quail eat less when they are fully grown than they do at 1-8 weeks. I also find that strange since they are bigger and you would think eat more but in both my cortnix and my GG Bobs I have found that they tend to eat less at the adult stage than at the adolescent stage.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
You getting there though
Hit me up got em ready shortly to hook you up
big_smile.png

LOL........I think my limit is gonna hafta be 350 ........ for this year anyway.

Quote:
Perhaps no comparison to coturnix but in the feed, work, repayment the question is the same. Do you get enough back from keeping them to justify the expense and work of keeping them.

I have NO idea as I dont have any but would love to hear from folks who do. Might convince myself to get some
gig.gif

Quote:
Perhaps no comparison to coturnix but in the feed, work, repayment the question is the same. Do you get enough back from keeping them to justify the expense and work of keeping them.

I have NO idea as I dont have any but would love to hear from folks who do. Might convince myself to get some
gig.gif

I was wondering if the local pet stores had any or wanted any I have been selling 5 dozen "hatching eggs" every 2 days it kina almost pays the feed bill

Back
Top Bottom