The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I realized I never asked my questions, the father of my light colored chicks is definitely my blacktailed red frizzle, but I'm not sure of the mothers or the father on the 3rd. I have the red frizzle and a silver birchen rooster, for hens when I set the eggs I had a golden neck duccle, quail danver, silver birchen, blue mottled, and barred cochins. My buff brahma hen had been removed from the pen for weeks. So is it possible to tell who laid who from this information or is it all recessive and I need to label my next hatch to see?
Do you have pictures of the possible parents?
That's an Austrawhite 100%
Do Austrawhites usually have gold leakage?
It doesn't show in pictures but their feathers are a little paler than their down and they have bright white in places, so this would still be silver? Also I was creeping and I plan on doing a naked neck cochin project next spring, do you have any tips? How far did you get?
Silver in chickens is white (there’s also recessive white and dominant white)

Breed a naked neck to a Cochin and keep breeding naked necked offspring from every generation back to a cochin.
Okay I have a confusing one (for me anyway!) and wanted to get some expert thoughts (@nicalandia and @NatJ)! This chick was hatched from my bantam run, which has 4 boys in it.
View attachment 3266200
View attachment 3266201
A lavender cuckoo Orpington cockerel (I know he’s not bantam, but they were nice to him as a baby and he refuses to join the big kid run…working on it). He was born early April, so currently 5 months old. I have an Olandsk dwarf rooster that is active and fertile and about 1.5-2 years old, a bantam buff Brahma from a show breeder that is 5 months old, and a mottled EE cockerel that is 6 months old.

View attachment 3266194
View attachment 3266195
View attachment 3266196
View attachment 3266198

Now, in my very limited knowledge I have learned mainly from both of you—barring from the MALE means either sex will be barred and the lavender will not be visible unless bred to another lavender. SO, first off—to get a bird that is white with black barring…the dad has to be the Orpington yes? Or is it possible barring is hidden in the EE?

Next question is who is the mom? I do not have any mixed breeds in this run except the three mottled EEs and they do NOT have feathered legs. The only hens I have with feathered legs are a Splash Silkie, a mille fleur d’Uccle, and a light Brahma. I also had a black Silkie that died from the heat the week after this egg was collected. Is she the mom? She seems like the only possibility! I’m sort of shocked because I didn’t think he was fertile yet and had no idea she was laying eggs, as he hadn’t really been showing interest in the bantams or that he knew what to do yet, and he’s rather large! Guess it’s time to move him over whether he likes it or not! Poor tiny birds! This chick is growing rather slowly and is way behind it’s hatch mates…but continues to grow and eat so I think it will make it.

I think I sorted it out by talking it out but wanted to be sure haha 😁 it would make me so happy if it’s one of Cher’s babies. She was just the sweetest Silkie 😍❤️
There’s no way to tell if it has white barring yet. The chick looks silver to me, but time will tell.
Opinions on my boy 007's color suspicion?
Dominant white with gold leakage

Breed a naked neck to a Cochin and keep breeding naked necked offspring from every generation back to a cochin.

There’s no way to tell if it has white barring yet. The chick looks silver to me, but time will tell.

Grayish, blueish color through out his body, except hackles, saddles, & wing triangles.
Best seen within some tail feathers.
20220825_101200.jpg
20220825_101235.jpg
I know he's Dominant White, due to the red in his shoulders.

Last edited:

Yeah I got ahead of myself and got too excited by what I thought I was seeing 😆 @nicalandia and @NatJ were right that it’s just plain old splash. She will be pretty, but I was excited to get a barred chicken haha.

Attachments

• 87115E08-CD6A-4D65-96C4-12D685674CA3.jpeg
    87115E08-CD6A-4D65-96C4-12D685674CA3.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 7669DF09-7E6D-4912-B966-3000C8F6F150.jpeg
    7669DF09-7E6D-4912-B966-3000C8F6F150.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 78264454-5EA6-4EE4-ABB1-0F1C0C77EBB9.jpeg
    78264454-5EA6-4EE4-ABB1-0F1C0C77EBB9.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3F55FAD4-7B0C-41DE-8BAA-109A9CEFE4B3.jpeg
    3F55FAD4-7B0C-41DE-8BAA-109A9CEFE4B3.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 4
Yeah I got ahead of myself and got too excited by what I thought I was seeing 😆 @nicalandia and @NatJ were right that it’s just plain old splash. She will be pretty, but I was excited to get a barred chicken haha.
Splash shouldn’t be possible with any of those fathers, unless the lavender cuckoo is actually blue lavender cuckoo.

Splash shouldn’t be possible with any of those fathers, unless the lavender cuckoo is actually blue lavender cuckoo.
Agreed! I think the egg must’ve come from my other coop that’s mainly large fowl, but also has 4 blue bantam Cochins. The eggs were supposed to have only been collected and hatched from only the small bantam run but I’m guessing it slipped in. The barring on the first feathers got me confused…but it’s the only thing that makes sense 🤦🏼‍♀️

What breed would be the best route to introduce the color black into my Malays? I want both Solid Black, & Red Shouldered blacks.

Black Jersey Giant

Black Sumatra

Black Olive Egger

Fibro Easter Egger

Black Ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom