The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

What Malay body variation do you prefer? Some of these types don't exist anymore. Like the 2nd to last one.(For anyone who'd like to answer :p )

(Type: A) Tall, big headed, Walnut/Cushion comb, short/parrot beak, large Dulap, & Sort tight, hard feathering.

(Type B) Tall, tight feathering, big head, longish tail, blunt beak, & Walnut/Cushion comb.(American type)

(Type: C) Tall, Medium head, slimmer beak, slightly fluffy, hard feathered, fancy tail, walnut/Cushion comb.

(Type: D) Tall, lanky, small head, pea comb, or rose combed, hard tight feathering, long tailed.

(Type: E) Short, Sumatra type body, long tailed, hard feathered.

(Type: F) Chunky, wide, hard tight feathering, cushion/walnut comb.

Last edited:
I've never replied to this thread, but it's so interesting! I have a couple questions.
What would I get if...
I crossed a Blue Ameraucana rooster with a Mottled Java hen?
Same rooster with a Columbian Wyandotte?
Same rooster with a Partridge laced Barnevelder?
Same rooster with a Delaware?

I've never replied to this thread, but it's so interesting! I have a couple questions.
What would I get if...
I crossed a Blue Ameraucana rooster with a Mottled Java hen?
Same rooster with a Columbian Wyandotte?
Same rooster with a Partridge laced Barnevelder?
Same rooster with a Delaware?
Mottled Java x = 50/50 blue and black chicks, no mottling in the first generation
Columbian wyandotte x = 50/50 blue and black chicks with silver or gold leakage
Delaware x = 50/50 blue and black chicks with silver or gold leakage, male offspring would be barred

The offspring would all most likely have pea combs and beards and lay blue or green eggs. The columbian wyandotte x’s would probably have walnut combs.

Do you have a picture of the barnevelder?

Mottled Java x = 50/50 blue and black chicks, no mottling in the first generation
Columbian wyandotte x = 50/50 blue and black chicks with silver or gold leakage
Delaware x = 50/50 blue and black chicks with silver or gold leakage, male offspring would be barred

The offspring would all most likely have pea combs and beards and lay blue or green eggs. The columbian wyandotte x’s would probably have walnut combs.

Do you have a picture of the barnevelder?
The Barnevelder:
IMG_1093.JPG

And I got this pullet from a Delaware crossed with the Blue Ameraucana. She's birchen, I believe.
IMG_1045.JPG

The barnevelder cross will result in 50/50 blue and black offspring with gold leakage.

Even though your pullet looks birchen, her genetics aren’t the same. Her pattern wouldn’t breed true.
I was told this about her earlier, just trying to get some closure on what she really is.
I have been looking on Ameraucana breed forums and it does look like Blue Ameraucanas in particular are based in E^R (birchen) while blacks are based in E (extended black). Blues can however be based on either E locus but to breed for a better laced blue, E^R is recommended. I had mistakenly read that they were based in E but it appears that that is not the case for according to actual breeders. E is dominant over E^R and E^R over the other E locuses so if you crossed an E^R with an e^Wh (what a Delaware is) you would indeed get an E^R or birchen bird! So I believe you're right and she is birchen!
Thanks so much for your help!

I was told this about her earlier, just trying to get some closure on what she really is.

Thanks so much for your help!
As I understand it, even if she has the gene she isn’t “true” birchen simply because she has other genes (like wheaten and columbian). Also, she isn’t pure for birchen since only one parent could have it. Depending on what she’s crossed with, she could produce offspring that a “pure” birchen wouldn’t be able to.

Hi Nicalandia! I have a question that I know you can help me with :) I want to breed ameraucana that have the autosexing coloration of the 55 flowery. I know the 55s are barred and mottled but I'm not sure the best path to get there while maintaining a blue egg. Would it be best to just buy some 55s and mix in the ameraucana genes for the beard and blue egg? If that's the shortest path, what color ameraucana would I need to use? I have bbs ameraucana already but could invest in another color if it would work better.

Hi @nicalandia and @NatJ! I know you can’t tell me what made this girl…she was purchased as an EE…but I’m curious what genetics create this coloring? It’s so gorgeous 😍 She’s also just an awesomely sweet bird. Wish I had 10 of her 😁

Attachments

• 24EF91CA-CEBE-47D2-BF4D-1A1E2D9FBB8D.jpeg
    24EF91CA-CEBE-47D2-BF4D-1A1E2D9FBB8D.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 4
  • B85724D9-BD4C-470E-8C3A-AFE0DCB43CCE.jpeg
    B85724D9-BD4C-470E-8C3A-AFE0DCB43CCE.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 3
  • 11641666-D782-466E-9132-AB0F99C42887.jpeg
    11641666-D782-466E-9132-AB0F99C42887.jpeg
    862.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 24C85389-263C-4874-A506-D01F8B0998D5.jpeg
    24C85389-263C-4874-A506-D01F8B0998D5.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 3
Hi @nicalandia and @NatJ! I know you can’t tell me what made this girl…she was purchased as an EE…but I’m curious what genetics create this coloring? It’s so gorgeous 😍 She’s also just an awesomely sweet bird. Wish I had 10 of her 😁

The white is probably Dominant White, but could possibly be caused by splash (homozygous for the blue gene). Either way, the white areas are what would otherwise be black.

Of course she's got gold, not silver.

I don't know what genes are causing that particular pattern or sort-of pattern. Part of it makes me think of lacing, so maybe she's got the pattern gene and maybe some of the other genes often involved in lacing? Or maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

I don't know what she's got at the e-locus (clearly not Extended Black, but beyond that I'm not sure.)

Back
Top Bottom