The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Shortest path would be getting 55 Flowery birds and introducing the blue egg shell gene as it's pretty strait forward. Beards and Pea comb/Blue egg shell can be detected at hatch
Will black ameraucanas work for this or should I get a different color? I have the bbs and I'm really happy with my original birds but could source some other color if I'm already ordering the 55s.

Will black ameraucanas work for this or should I get a different color? I have the bbs and I'm really happy with my original birds but could source some other color if I'm already ordering the 55s.
Black will work. The first generation will be all black, you take this first gen back to 55 Flowery. Look on the F2s the correct down color, beard and pea combs.

I *think* this is feather leakage on my supposed Splash Ameraucana. If so, how did that happen? Also, could he pass it on to his babies? My newbie chicken owner mind is blown. Thanks!
CBC99E6A-7F05-4780-BF75-E969C49186E3.jpeg

Attachments

• 13A06ED7-9AEE-4D45-8FDF-EBBFEA80E561.jpeg
    13A06ED7-9AEE-4D45-8FDF-EBBFEA80E561.jpeg
    809.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 24B30E80-3E12-44A6-A205-38B7D08925F2.jpeg
    24B30E80-3E12-44A6-A205-38B7D08925F2.jpeg
    745.9 KB · Views: 2
I *think* this is feather leakage on my supposed Splash Ameraucana. If so, how did that happen?
Yes, that is Leakage, How it happened? I would say that he is either a homozygous extended black(E/E) with missing melanizers or a E/eb Heterozygote. Most likely just missing melanizers. It will be more obvious when he is fully matured

Yes, that is Leakage, How it happened? I would say that he is either a homozygous extended black(E/E) with missing melanizers or a E/eb Heterozygote. Most likely just missing melanizers. It will be more obvious when he is fully matured
Got it. Thanks! Are there any courses, programs, outlets, or books you recommend for someone wanting to begin learning about chicken genetics?

Got it. Thanks! Are there any courses, programs, outlets, or books you recommend for someone wanting to begin learning about chicken genetics?
I am in search of these things myself! One place I have found helpful besides following this thread and reading their helpful replies--playing with the chicken calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html has helped me some and I also joined the Ameraucana Alliance and they have a forum that is very active and has tons of threads on genetics and some very knowledgeable breeders that helped create many of the Ameraucanas accepted by the APA and ABA that are patient and answer questions like Nicalandia and NatJ do! I know enough now just by doing these things to sort of understand what they say when they speak genetics at me :D Still working at it though and need to find a couple books/courses to add to the mix!

I am in search of these things myself! One place I have found helpful besides following this thread and reading their helpful replies--playing with the chicken calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html has helped me some and I also joined the Ameraucana Alliance and they have a forum that is very active and has tons of threads on genetics and some very knowledgeable breeders that helped create many of the Ameraucanas accepted by the APA and ABA that are patient and answer questions like Nicalandia and NatJ do! I know enough now just by doing these things to sort of understand what they say when they speak genetics at me :D Still working at it though and need to find a couple books/courses to add to the mix!
Works pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom