The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This chick is part of my brown red mottled D’Uccles project. The dad is F1Mille Fleur (F1x Mille Fleur) mom is F2 (F1xF1). The F1 is a mix of Brown red jap x Millie Fleur. Anyway, my question is what color do you think it’ll look like and what might have cause the buff spot to just be on the head?
3BF2F4D3-8995-4C36-941E-C1B4324A6A70.jpeg
94A18DD1-2655-4FC5-8D10-E39FD203627A.jpeg
53A697D1-9F17-4A05-AC0C-B0F05C71D359.jpeg

About 1/4 hatch out Mille Fleur colored and most hatch out like this
1B3A135A-468A-4E0C-B8D6-EBBC9640DF7D.jpeg

This chick is part of my brown red mottled D’Uccles project. The dad is F1Mille Fleur (F1x Mille Fleur) mom is F2 (F1xF1). The F1 is a mix of Brown red jap x Millie Fleur. Anyway, my question is what color do you think it’ll look like and what might have cause the buff spot to just be on the head?
View attachment 3565587View attachment 3565588View attachment 3565586

About 1/4 hatch out Mille Fleur colored and most hatch out like this
View attachment 3565598

The chick down appears to be based on Extended black with recessive mottling. as to why does it have that peculiar gold patch on it's left side. that's unknown

Extended black without at least one melanizer in homozygous state(like Ml or Pg) will look very much like a dark brown red

Egg Snatcher and I talked briefly in private messages about this chick. I speculated that it could be from a minor burst blood vessel just before hatching that stained the chick down, but I wasn't sure if there could be a genetic explanation so suggested posting the chick here just in case. 🙂 I've had a couple chicks hatch with what I believe were such stains out of my BBS Cochins this year, example the Blue chick below. The brownish color is only on the side visible in this picture and not the other side. Another, older Blue pullet had a small spot by her eye and has feathered out completely normal for a Blue so far.

Blue baby.jpg

This is a cenami x astralorp mix. I know if it was a leg horn females would be white and males black. How does it work with a Australorp mix? How can I sex link this? Also, what happens if you mix a cemani with a lavender Ameraucana?

Attachments

• 0C5B87D6-A918-4E03-9C31-433DE4BD0C6F.jpeg
    0C5B87D6-A918-4E03-9C31-433DE4BD0C6F.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 10
I know if it was a leg horn females would be white and males black.

This is not true. White Leghorns have the dominant white gene, which is not sexlinked so you should get roughly equal numbers of males and females in either color. Unless you were referring to some other variety of Leghorn, but I can't think of any variety with a sexlinked gene that would produce white females and black males. 🤔 Cemani x White Leghorn should produce skin color sexlinks where males have light skin and females have dark skin, but in my experience with skin color sexlinks the dominant white gene can wash out the skin color so much that it's hard to tell white females from the males in the hatch.

Cemani x Australorp does not produce sexlinked chicks, either, so you'll have to wait until that chick is older to determine its sex.

Cemani x anything Lavender should produce all black chicks carrying a copy of the lavender gene. Lavender is recessive, so chicks must inherit it from both parents in order to express it and be lavender colored.

This is a cenami x astralorp mix. I know if it was a leg horn females would be white and males black. How does it work with a Australorp mix? How can I sex link this? Also, what happens if you mix a cemani with a lavender Ameraucana?
I dont see any Cemani parentage on that chick. Looks 100% Australorp

This is not true. White Leghorns have the dominant white gene, which is not sexlinked so you should get roughly equal numbers of males and females in either color. Unless you were referring to some other variety of Leghorn, but I can't think of any variety with a sexlinked gene that would produce white females and black males. 🤔 Cemani x White Leghorn should produce skin color sexlinks where males have light skin and females have dark skin, but in my experience with skin color sexlinks the dominant white gene can wash out the skin color so much that it's hard to tell white females from the males in the hatch.

Cemani x Australorp does not produce sexlinked chicks, either, so you'll have to wait until that chick is older to determine its sex.

Cemani x anything Lavender should produce all black chicks carrying a copy of the lavender gene. Lavender is recessive, so chicks must inherit it from both parents in order to express it and be lavender colored.
Oh my gosh that was it the skin color! Im so new to learning how this works it’s confusing.

Your really smart! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom