The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

this guy is super unique.

I would agree he is silver. I don’t see any other way he would get this phenotype considering the breast, light to dark where the black would be wing gradient and black tail color.

i think his cockerel’s tails are interesting. We really only see that lacing affect on the sickle feathers in pencilled hamburgs to my knowledge. But even then I have not seen it be this clean looking.

The only comments I have on the pullets right now are that they confirm to me the resemblance of the penciled Hamburg genotype on the cockerels. We can see that on the back of the lighter one towards the tail where we would assume Db is melanizing more, a traverse penciling pattern from inherited Pg is Present. As for the darker stippled one I think we’re probably just seeing some het columbian and melanotic effects?

I don’t have any developed thoughts on the chick down photo currently.

Thanks for sharing these! Do you no longer have the father?
Wish we still had him, but unfortunately we got him a year before a fox found our flock. We lost a fair number of birds during that time either to them free ranging or flying the fence when penned.

Db was my thought as well. We got the cock as a trade, and some of the pullets that his original owner had were patterned similarly to our pullets so it seems to run in that line of Easter Eggers. I completely agree that they are close to transverse penciled, just they have less pattern. The cockerel's juvenile feathers were similar to that of adult hen Sicillian Buttercups, so that adds to your theory.

Your statement about the cock having red everywhere a duckwing would have black was something I noticed too. He had normal gold shoulders, then a dark red wing bar. The red also leaked across his breast. I wonder if this could have something to do with those areas being effected by Db? Like the silver being spread to areas it doesn't normally cover makes it have less effect on the red leaking into those regions? The double dose of Co and Db pushing silver into the cockerel's breasts maybe kept the red out. I don’t know, it's just an idea.

I hade a chich hatch out with a webed toe, is this genetic? Parents are unrelated, dad is an EE and mom is a cornish cross Nn hybrid.
Yes, webbed toes are genetic. I am believe it is incompletely dominant or polygenic. The consensus seems to be that it is a dominant gene that has other genes needed in order for it to present. Most commonly feather footed. I am unsure of the other closely related genes at play. In order to prevent this in the future you would not want to breed the bird

Yes, webbed toes are genetic. I am believe it is incompletely dominant or polygenic. The consensus seems to be that it is a dominant gene that has other genes needed in order for it to present. Most commonly feather footed. I am unsure of the other closely related genes at play. In order to prevent this in the future you would not want to breed the bird
I wast going to breed it, Ill butcher him when he gets older. He'll(or she) will grow pretty fast and big.

Is true spangles a recessive or dominant gene? Like spangled hamburgs have...I believe they're spangles aren't mottle related and are a different gene right?

Reading about spangles it isn't always clear to me if the writer is talking about Millie fluer type mottling or spangle genes.

Is true spangles a recessive or dominant gene? Like spangled hamburgs have...I believe they're spangles aren't mottle related and are a different gene right?

Reading about spangles it isn't always clear to me if the writer is talking about Millie fluer type mottling or spangle genes.
Spangling (as in Hamburgs and Spitzhaubens and Brabanters) requires a combination of several genes. The mottling gene is not involved.

http://www.sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page2.html
This page has a chart with the genes for several different patterns (spangled, laced, a few others) Try ctrl +F to "find" a word in the page, and have it find "spangling," if you don't want to scroll through the whole thing lookig.

It shows that Spangling (Hamburg type) requires Birchen at the e-locus (E^R), along with the Pattern Gene (Pg), Melanotic (Ml), and Dark Brown (Db). If you also add the Columbian gene (Co), you will have single lacing (like in Sebrights and Polish). From what I've read elsewhere, Pg/Ml/Db are linked to some extent, so the combination of those three will often behave like a single gene for breeding purposes.

Pg, Ml, Db should all be dominant genes, according to what I've read.

Yes, it is confusing when one variety name (Spangled) is used for some birds that have very different genetics than others ("Spangled" Russian Orloffs have the motting gene, not the combination of genes that Hamburgs have.)

Back
Top Bottom