The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Also I have another blue silver Mille fleur pullet that is feathering in very Colombian. I was hoping you could clue me in to the genetics so I can figure out how to correct it.

View attachment 3173468

Silver Millie Fleur(not really a thousand flowers to be honest, just black dots because the white ones just disappear on a white/silver background) That pattern has always confused me since the black dots can mean many things(different genes have similar effect)

If I had guess based on the understanding that you are working with pure breeds. She is just a sparsely mottled bird. I would not use her for further breeding as the intent for that pattern is to have a many black dots as possible.

Silver1.jpg

Last edited:
I take issue with that statement.

It was an opinion, not a statement, as made clear by the portion you also quoted but didn't bold...

WOW those are ugly chickens! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So surely some people love them.

There are plenty of breeds some may find gorgeous and others may find ugly. That's why different people bred them to look so different.
I never cared for game types myself. And I dislike the color red. You may dislike spots.
What is wrong with saying so?

Lavender is recessive. Split to Isabel means that lavender is present on the genetic make up of the bird in question but in heterozygous form(Lav+/lav)

Two split lavender/Isabel chickens when cross together will produce= 25% Lavender/Isabel lav/lav, 25% LAV+/LAV+, 50% Lav+/lav(Splits)
So what would I get if I bred one of these to a gold laced chocolate? Mauve? I'm still learning, and thank you for your time and knowledge!

I did discover something very interesting by breeding Silkie to Red JungleFowl hybrids, & the offspring have alot of JungleFowl traits, but either lack, or have no crest, but exhibits 4-5 toes, Single comb, & feathered legs. The sex linking between skin color is strong too.

Here's a Red JungleFowl hybrid/Silkie Cross cockerel.
20220707_110448.jpg
20220707_110502.jpg
20220707_110510.jpg
20220707_110518.jpg
I'll get updated pictures of the Red JungleFowl hybrid/Silkie cross hen later.

Here's a pure Red JungleFowl cockerel. He wouldn't stay still.
20220707_110700.jpg
20220707_110723.jpg
20220707_110740.jpg
So, just theorizing from what I'm seeing, is that either Silkies are directly descended from the Red JungleFowl, or are Mutant Red JungleFowl. I can do further experiments with the crossings.

According to the chicken calculator. If I breed black breasted red hens to a brassy back rooster. The resulting offspring will be quail. Is this correct?

On a recent post I mentioned that this was Incorrect. But let me clarify that.

The user input on the calculator entered the wrong data. Because the Calculator it's accurate. So there is no way that someone would have put a Black Breasted Red(Red enhanced Wildtype) and Brassy Back on the Calculator and received a Quail pattern as a result.

So, just theorizing from what I'm seeing, is that either Silkies are directly descended from the Red JungleFowl, or are Mutant Red JungleFowl. I can do further experiments with the crossings.

Silkies (beside all of their mutations) are very close genetically to Red Jungle Fowls.

Back
Top Bottom