The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

It could be fun, if chick demand remains high, to make an all CW hatch and see what I got -- then advertise them as likely excellent layers.

I'm planning on getting another CW or two as part of my colorful egg basket. Their active, mischievous nature is the dash of hot sauce in my mild-mannered Australorp flock.

Just checking my understanding of a situation.

My chicks that hatched Sunday included two from eggs laid by the California White.

Obviously the dominant white chick is hers, but other than that there's probably no way to pick any of her other chicks out from the sea of blue, black, and very black chicks.

IIRC, that Leghorn x California Grey heritage could be hiding just about ANYTHING genetically, right?

I did ID a previous Australorp x California White when she stopped growing at a smaller size and developed whitish earlobes at POL.
I got a blue hen from a california white once. Hatched 3 birds in total from a california white. All of them matured to be leaner and generally tinier than the rest of the flock, despite the california white being bred to meatier birds, and all had white earlobes.

I believe silver laced english orpingtons are partridge. The males tail is laced and not solid black. When choosing this option in the calculator it give in the list partridge and co.

The calculator always shows an image with a laced tail. For the partridge-based ones, it says "black patterned gold laced•tail" For the birchen-based ones, it says "black patterned gold laced."

So yes, there is definitely something different about the tails. But I think you are reading it backwards.

Did you try Sebrights for comparison? They do have laced tails, and the calculator shows them as birchen-based, with the "laced" description (no mention of tail.)

And when I try to look for information elsewhere, I find that the black tail goes with a partridge base, and the laced tail goes with birchen.

For example:
Black tailed Silver Laced as in Wyandottes are eb/eb Pg/Pg Ml/Ml Co/Co...
Laced tailed Silver Laced as in Polish or Sebright are Birchen based , ER/ER Pg/Pg Ml/Ml Co/Co...

I believe silver laced english orpingtons are partridge. The males tail is laced and not solid black. When choosing this option in the calculator it give in the list partridge and co.

Edit: I could be wrong as I'm rushing to get back to work from lunch!
Replying to my own post. Looks like it should be berichen not partridge. Still has Co. Had to read through the description to figure it out. The one that says w/ tail has a black tail. The one that doesn't say tail has the laced tail.

The calculator always shows an image with a laced tail. For the partridge-based ones, it says "black patterned gold laced•tail" For the birchen-based ones, it says "black patterned gold laced."

So yes, there is definitely something different about the tails. But I think you are reading it backwards.

Did you try Sebrights for comparison? They do have laced tails, and the calculator shows them as birchen-based, with the "laced" description (no mention of tail.)

And when I try to look for information elsewhere, I find that the black tail goes with a partridge base, and the laced tail goes with birchen.

For example:
Lol, was already correcting myself. 🤣

I'm glad this was here. I was just trying to find out whether polish are ER or eb to plug it into the calculator. Funny timing to needing something, I suppose.

@nicalandia or anyone that can answer,
how do you achieve different splash colors? I’ve only owned one splash hen, and she was a white body color with blue/black flecks, but i’ve seen other splash birds with a natural darker tone to them. I think it’s pretty, how is it achievable? Just luck?
E9D8B476-F23E-420C-887D-8226F526EDB3.jpeg
2F7102D1-C888-4032-8659-0E4AB3E6C93C.jpeg
702F719B-DA7B-4A9B-AAAA-4A4FEF1E1C32.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom