The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I was sold this rooster and this hen as genetic hackle, the hen came from a mom that looked just like her which was in a pen with very light, Almost White male roosters with thin black barring. The rooster is admitted Maybe 25 to 75% genetic hackle. What would their chicks look like certain color and feathering. The last photo is The Offspring of the rooster and a Miller fluer duccle hen.

Attachments

• received_736701991133743.jpeg
    received_736701991133743.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 6
  • received_1421001938670376.jpeg
    received_1421001938670376.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 0430231907a63.jpg
    0430231907a63.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 6
Humm not sure where to ask this but I guess here will do? Trying to narrow down my colors on the breeds I want to keep and I was wondering if these colors can be kept together.

For Spitzhauben: Chamois Spangled and Gold Spangled.

For Phoenix: Golden and Silver Duckwing.

For Ameraucana: Black and Lavender.

Would that work given the lavender needs black for strengthening feathers, Golden Duckwing being S/s+ , and Chamois needing Gold Spangled to keep its colors less diluted? Kinda how BBS works in that you can keep them together breeding wise?

I was sold this rooster and this hen as genetic hackle...What would their chicks look like certain color and feathering.
I would expect most sons to look a lot like the father, and most daughters to look a lot like the mother.

(I am assuming they are genetically gold birchen, with white barring, and I am not considering recessive gene possibilities. If my assumptions are wrong, then of course my prediction will also be wrong.)

The last photo is The Offspring of the rooster and a Miller fluer duccle hen.
Hmm. The father may only have one copy of the barring gene, instead of the two I expected. In that case, you might get some daughters without barring (like if the white stripes were removed from the mother.) All sons should have barring anyway, and some of the daughters will too.

How would I breed Sapphire Gems? I have a Barred Rock hen.
Barred hen, splash rooster with no barring.
That will give blue sons with white barring and blue daughters with no white barring. The barring is visible as a light spot on the head at hatch.

Splash might come from Blue Andalusian, or Blue Australorp, or any other "blue" breed.
A patterned rooster can also work, as long as he has splash, and has no barring (for example, a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte would work fine.)

In all of those cases, the chicks will be blue and will be sexlinks (sexable by color at hatch), but they will not really be "Sapphire Gems." That name goes with one specific cross, from parent types that are not usually available to buy.

Back
Top Bottom