The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

My Olive Egger - Pea Comb, Spurs, Light Turquoise Eggs(Used to lay dark olive), Feather color Black.

Green Queen - Pea Comb, lightly feathered legs, lays almost Teal, with blue green speckles occasionally, feather color is Blue Wheaten, Duckwing split.

Ameraucana - Black, Pea comb, egg color a darkish blue, egg type is glossy.

EEs lay: Light Blue, Dark Turquoise, & light grayish turquoise. Colors of them are mostly variations of blue partridge. One EE is Fibro, & currently broody. They all are pea combed.
From that list, I would probably go with whichever has the feather color closest to what you want for your project.

Wait, sexlink through leg color?
Yes, definitely possible.

Light legs (white or yellow) is caused by a dominant gene on the Z sex chromosome, with dark legs (slate or willow) being the recessive trait.

Since males have two Z chromosomes and hens have ZW, the same breeding process works for any trait on the Z chromosome.

A father who shows the recessive trait produces daughters who also show the recessive trait, and gives one copy of that gene to his sons. A mother who has the dominant trait will give it to her sons (who show it because it is dominant), and she does not give it to her daughters (because she gives them the W chromosome that makes them female.)

Yes, definitely possible.

Light legs (white or yellow) is caused by a dominant gene on the Z sex chromosome, with dark legs (slate or willow) being the recessive trait.

Since males have two Z chromosomes and hens have ZW, the same breeding process works for any trait on the Z chromosome.

A father who shows the recessive trait produces daughters who also show the recessive trait, and gives one copy of that gene to his sons. A mother who has the dominant trait will give it to her sons (who show it because it is dominant), and she does not give it to her daughters (because she gives them the W chromosome that makes them female.)
Bookmarked for future reference. Thank you!

Has anyone tried to cross a silkie with a jersey giant?
I have a hen from JG x white silkie who retained the black skin, small comb and 5 toes but with an all black colour with normal feathers...

I know that there is some thread about giant silkies projects but was just wandering about what crossing would have to be made to get a silkie like chicken with the jersey giant body tipe.

Sorry for the low quality photos but my flock sleeps on the pine trees...

Attachments

• 1684180060963.jpg
    1684180060963.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1684180060970.jpg
    1684180060970.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1684180060979.jpg
    1684180060979.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Has anyone tried to cross a silkie with a jersey giant?
I have a hen from JG x white silkie who retained the black skin, small comb and 5 toes but with an all black colour with normal feathers...

I know that there is some thread about giant silkies projects but was just wandering about what crossing would have to be made to get a silkie like chicken with the jersey giant body tipe.
So, you want a Silkied Jersey Giant?

Probably would wanna keep offspring with more Jersey Giant traits, like 4 toes, single comb, & clean legs. Then breed them together. Take your F2s, breed back to Jersey Giant to add the recessive Silkie feather Genes, & maintain yellow skin. Cull any that don't. Breed the best of the F3's together, & you should have a good starter flock of half Silkied, & half regular feathered Jersey Giants.

So, you want a Silkied Jersey Giant?

Probably would wanna keep offspring with more Jersey Giant traits, like 4 toes, single comb, & clean legs. Then breed them together. Take your F2s, breed back to Jersey Giant to add the recessive Silkie feather Genes, & maintain yellow skin. Cull any that don't. Breed the best of the F3's together, & you should have a good starter flock of half Silkied, & half regular feathered Jersey Giants.
more like a giant silkie... the comb could be single but I would like to keep the dark skin

I was hoping that nicalandia would shed some light in the genetics involved in the silkie x JG cross...

Just saw the thread about the silkie/brahma cross....It is an excellent idea.
How does the genetics in the skin color works with silkies and brahmas?

Last edited:
more like a giant silkie... the comb could be single but I would like to keep the dark skin

I was hoping that nicalandia would shed some light in the genetics involved in the silkie x JG cross...

Just saw the thread about the silkie/brahma cross....It is an excellent idea.
How does the genetics in the skin color works with silkies and brahmas?
Silkies are supposed to be white skinned Fibro. Brahmas are recessive yellow skinned.

If the Silkie shows white skin, gets bred to a yellow skinned bird, & get offspring with both skin colors, you know your Silkie is split for the yellow skin.

But in general for, making Giant Silkies you want White skin which is dominant over yellow.

White Skin/Shank X Yellow = White/Yellow Splits.

You can get skin color sex links by breeding Silkie Rooster X Brahma hen. You'll get 100% Black skinned females, & 100% Yellow, or White skinned males.

Back
Top Bottom