The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This little guy seems to have extra floof on its wings and far more pins on wings for 1 day.. it also has a purple colored comb where the others are pink/white .. its my f2 OE but can you tell me what crossed with BCM to get this? Maybe a few things I'm guessing but his extra floof stumps me.. I know the woman I got the eggs from has BCM, Lavender and Crele Orp, Ayam Cemani (so she says but I never got my 2 eggs from her), silkies, WTB (pretty sure this is also a mix?)and EE..

Could the extra floof be from the silkie possibly or????
20230608_091003.jpg
20230608_090953.jpg

Attachments

• 20230608_090933.jpg
    20230608_090933.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 1
Also...

So I have 6 eggs from a friend's flock in lockdown.. Inc says day 1.. so anytime now I should get pipping.. we have no idea what hen may have lay them as he has around 40 laying hens atm, however, hen options are RIR, saphire gem, what looks to be speckled Sussex, Jersey Giant and a few other types probably ly mixed.. dad's he has 17 roos roaming his yard.. he put 2 roos in with his ladies and I was surprised to find that 7 of the 8 eggs he gave me were fertile. One was a quitter. I have barely a clue what any of his roos breeds are. Assuming they are all mixed breeds except for a Jersey Giant he got last summer and I believe he was one of the roos. Other roo was def a mix.

Question: I am really wanted a SS. Will the SS gene be dominant or will the mixed breeds wash it out to a mix of speckles and something else? I am so beginner on genetics and honestly having a hard time grasping it so any help is appreciated

anted a SS. Will the SS gene be dominant or will the mixed breeds wash it out to a mix of speckles and something else? I am so beginner on genetics and honestly having a hard time grasping it so any help is apprecia
I think speckled sussex is mottled with a black/red pattern? The mottled gene creates the white dots on the feathers, and it is a recessive gene. So I do not think you'll get anything that looks like a speckled sussex. But who knows what the mixed rooster might be carrying.

Question: I am really wanted a SS. Will the SS gene be dominant or will the mixed breeds wash it out to a mix of speckles and something else?

If you want something specific, you really have to be picky with what eggs you set or chicks you buy.
The spots are from the mottled gene. Mottling is recessive. Chicks with one mottled parent can have some white markings at hatch and their first feathers can look mottled (not always, there's different versions of the gene).
Every juvenile molt they go through (5-6) for the next few months, their feathers will lose spots until the final adult plumage is solid, some retain tiny spots on the face or breast.

SS have some pretty strong red genes (mahogany maybe? or autosomal? I don't know) so the chicks should definitely have red but may not have any pattern. SS were used to bring the mottled gene into Ameraucana. That project is very far along with many generations, but some of the breeders still have red leakage pop up.

Yes, from the perspective that they're hatchery hybrids who don't breed true.
Well...... my limited experience with the Mystic Onyx suggests that if I had a male to put with my girls, they more or less would create more onyxes. They wouldn't be exact clones, but they'd have the black skin and other characteristics that the parents had
No, from the perspective that they're not the *same* hybrid. :)

Well...... my limited experience with the Mystic Onyx suggests that if I had a male to put with my girls, they more or less would create more onyxes. They wouldn't be exact clones, but they'd have the black skin and other characteristics that the parents had

I'm sure it would be possible for someone who loves them enough to put in the effort to work them into a true breed. :)

And another question lol it seems I may have lockdown early which is fine at 15-16 days as some experienced people on here often do. However, I wasn't paying attention as I had a second incubator hatching out that same day.. took a couple days for me to realize that I had put the humid up to %70 on day 16 and they are due tomorrow. Will this kill the fetus? What are the chances they will hatch out? I haven't seen egg movement in 24 hours (at least when I have gone in to check) .. Any criticism is welcome as I am still learning. This is my 5th hatch but the first time with both incubators going at once with separate hatch days.. thanks

Back
Top Bottom