The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

The chick will be a leaky Sumatra cross pseudo Brown Red.

hredirect2 (4).jpeg

hredirect2 (3).jpeg

It sounds to me like the WTB is heterozygous dominant white instead of splash and the chick inherited dominant white from her. Pictures of her and her chick would help to confirm. 🙂
Mom and chick

Attachments

• Resized_20230618_090507.jpeg
    Resized_20230618_090507.jpeg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220201_170850.jpg
    20220201_170850.jpg
    957 KB · Views: 19
White Ameraucana have dark Slate/Blue Shanks. Recessive white based on the c allele has no effect on shank color

View attachment 3544963
My understanding is that recessive white dilutes shank color, although in the epidermis, making for lighter colored shanks, with lighter, or transparent scales covering the legs which can be darker in the dermal layer, same thing with dominant white . Mottling supposedly does the same thing, as does Bl, B, and maybe other plumage colors to different degrees. Hence you can have an E/E chicken with all the melanizer genes and you won't ever see a black shanked white chicken. Getting blue legs in a white bird is about as dark as you can get, and it lightens as the bird ages. The main gene determining shank color are the ones for dermal melanin and skin color. I created some white birds on black backgrounds (E/E) with dominant white and they all had dark legs, but a lot lighter than those without. Even with fibromelanosis genes, the recessive white silkie has lighter legs, lighter than the paint, with one domnant white gene, but homozygous for white have lighter than the paint.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom