The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

My understanding is that recessive white dilutes shank color, although in the epidermis, making for lighter colored shanks, with lighter, or transparent scales covering the legs which can be darker in the dermal layer, same thing with dominant white . Mottling supposedly does the same thing, as does Bl, B, and maybe other plumage colors to different degrees. Hence you can have an E/E chicken with all the melanizer genes and you won't ever see a black shanked white chicken. Getting blue legs in a white bird is about as dark as you can get, and it lightens as the bird ages. The main gene determining shank color are the ones for dermal melanin and skin color. I created some white birds on black backgrounds (E/E) with dominant white and they all had dark legs, but a lot lighter than those without. Even with fibromelanosis genes, the recessive white silkie has lighter legs, lighter than the paint, with one domnant white gene, but homozygous for white have lighter than the paint.
It seems like you have figured it all out.

It seems like you have figured it all out.
We'll see. The research from Crawford, Carefoot, Hutt, and Brereton is all I can go by, and some of it may be obsolete by now. We will see. I am doing the genetic testing for recessive white to see if there are genes there to segregate. If not, then I'm at a standstill until I come up with better genetics to work with. At least I'm fairly certain that the problem lies in dominant white rather than an errant version of recessive white.

Apologies, I thought I clicked reply before I left, apparently I did not. 😬

Mom and chick
Chick fluffed up, my neighbor hatched them, so I'll get to see them grow up

She's hetero dominant white, which means she'll throw some white offspring and some not-white offspring as RAA said. She may also have a copy of the blue gene judging by the bluishness of her flecks of color, in which case her not-white offspring could be either blue or black. And yes, color leaking is likely from a bird of mixed color background like her. Also, she has a hetero pea comb, which means half of her offspring will have a comb similar to hers and half will have a single comb like their father.

The other chick is a favaucana mix, will all her chicks be like her?

Favaucanas are usually Salmon Faverolles mixed with Blue Ameraucanas, I think? Is your Favaucana blue? With a Black Orpington father and Favaucana mother, all should have beards, about half should have hetero pea combs and half single combs, and all should have at least one copy of extended black from their father so should be mostly solid-colored possibly with color leakage. If the mother is blue, about half will be blue and half black.

Apologies, I thought I clicked reply before I left, apparently I did not. 😬
It's all good;)
She's hetero dominant white, which means she'll throw some white offspring and some not-white offspring as RAA said. She may also have a copy of the blue gene judging by the bluishness of her flecks of color, in which case her not-white offspring could be either blue or black. And yes, color leaking is likely from a bird of mixed color background like her. Also, she has a hetero pea comb, which means half of her offspring will have a comb similar to hers and half will have a single comb like their father.
They breed true for egg color (blue) she lays blue eggs. I knew something was hidden in there when the neighbor sent me that pic of the chick.
Favaucanas are usually Salmon Faverolles mixed with Blue Ameraucanas, I think? Is your Favaucana blue? With a Black Orpington father and Favaucana mother, all should have beards, about half should have hetero pea combs and half single combs, and all should have at least one copy of extended black from their father so should be mostly solid-colored possibly with color leakage. If the mother is blue, about half will be blue and half black.
Yes, she is blue (blue ameraucana roo over faverolles hen), I've hatched her eggs before, most have been black, a few have been blue, all have had feathered legs. Non are grown yet, so we'll see what the end result is in a few months.

Thank ya'll for all your help!

Last edited:
What would you refer to this boy as? He hatched a dark partridge like a couple other chicks, but barred.
Reminds me so much of my Brassy Backs. Hatched from one of my Chameleon hens.
View attachment 3546134
Looks to be Brown Red. Many times ER Can look eb, you see eb is a direct mutation of ER, the order of mutations. e+ mutated to Extended Black, then Extended Black mutated to ER birchen, Birchen then mutated back to eb. They have been genetically sequenced and found to have the same Root mutation, ER has one more than E and eb three more but they share the same base mutation. Dominant Wheaten eWh and recessive Wheaten ey are separate mutations that branched out from e+

Looks to be Brown Red. Many times ER Can look eb, you see eb is a direct mutation of ER, the order of mutations. e+ mutated to Extended Black, then Extended Black mutated to ER birchen, Birchen then mutated back to eb. They have been genetically sequenced and found to have the same Root mutation, ER has one more than E and eb three more but they share the same base mutation. Dominant Wheaten eWh and recessive Wheaten ey are separate mutations that branched out from e+
Really? He had the same dark stripes as his female counterparts.
Not the best picture.
20230407_103152.jpg
I've got sister pictures if that would help?

Back
Top Bottom