The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Will an ameraucana cross always have a muff/beard when crossed to a clean faced chicken?
It should work that way, but in practice it sometimes does not.

An Ameraucana is supposed to have two copies of the muff/beard gene, so every chick gets one, so every chick shows muff/beard.

Many chickens sold as "Americanas" (wrong spelling) and even as "Ameraucanas" (correct spelling) do not have all the traits that an Ameraucana is supposed to have. So a chicken with the right name (Ameraucana) and the right appearance (including muff/beard) may have just one copy of the muff beard gene, which would mean half of their chicks get it and the other half do not.

Hello, I am trying to figure out some of the genetics for Whiting True Green. Wondering if they are all duckwing (e+) or not. The chicks come in 3 color morphs, it appears. Creamy, gold chipmunk, and dark brown chipmunk. Attached photo from the internet. In adult form, some have dominant white and others do not. Are the chick color morphs due to dominant white alone, or is something else involved like wheaten?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_134600_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20230710_134600_Chrome.png
    689.8 KB · Views: 8
Not as much as years ago, I really dont like to coment on Mongrel chicks or unknown parentage
I imagine this level of response has consumed a decent amount or your time.

However, the wealth of knowledge you’ve shared at the cost of simply having to read and search this site is greatly appreciated by me and by the amount of comments on this post, I’m sure many others. Thanks for your time!

I’m assuming your saying he can’t be that rooster that fertilized the egg, correct? He was my only rooster. I got rid of my other rooster 3 weeks prior. To big of a word for me if that’s not what you meant haha 😂

I used to have 4 black hens -- Lavender Orpington x Silver-laced Wyandotte -- to prove that hens can retain sperm for even 4 weeks.

I used to have 4 black hens -- Lavender Orpington x Silver-laced Wyandotte -- to prove that hens can retain sperm for even 4 weeks.
This has completely blown my mind, I’m glad I have come across this information for when I put my roosters with the hens I want to breed. I can put them in the pen for a day and they would be fertile for 4 weeks? And then they won’t be over mated by the rooster. Or would I have to keep them in there together for a couple of days?

This has completely blown my mind, I’m glad I have come across this information for when I put my roosters with the hens I want to breed. I can put them in the pen for a day and they would be fertile for 4 weeks? And then they won’t be over mated by the rooster. Or would I have to keep them in there together for a couple of days?
I'd keep them in a few days
I have a naked neck chick too that says the same thing

Back
Top Bottom