The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Oh I could be lavender and white. Black is used to improve egg color in every variety of Ameraucana in bantam and LF. Both are recessive so both hen and cock bird could carry both. That one chick is lavender, 97% sure. The other .... I disavow ... its not real its fake.:tongue

Oh I could be lavender and white. Black is used to improve egg color in every variety of Ameraucana in bantam and LF. Both are recessive so both hen and cock bird could carry both. That one chick is lavender, 97% sure. The other .... I disavow ... its not real its fake.:tongue
Has the hen been with any other male in the last two months?

Has the hen been with any other male in the last two months?
She hasn’t! She’s been in those breeding cages since the beginning of January 🤪 She only likes Angus too. She beats up on the other roos. That’s why she was the choice for the hen to put with him. She hates the other boys 😆😆 But that might be the only explanation…it’s just so weird 😆

Okay @NatJ or @nicalandia I’m having a tough time seeing these babies hatching from what I thought was a black pen.

Rooster, whom I have shown multiple times as a Black Ameraucana.

View attachment 3754679
View attachment 3754681
View attachment 3754683

Here is the hen -
View attachment 3754685
View attachment 3754686

Their babies so far -
View attachment 3754687
View attachment 3754688
View attachment 3754689
View attachment 3754690

Is that rooster blue?!? And if so, I still think the hen is black…so I shouldn’t be getting splash right?? What is happening?? 😆 They’re in a breeding pen all by themselves and I’d take one as a mislabel…but I’m getting a LOT of blue/splash like birds! The breeder of the rooster insists they do not carry lavender either. 🤪 This is not what I was expecting and I fell perplexed! 🤪
Based on the chicks you are getting, I would expect both parents to be blue. Or maybe one blue parent and one black, with the blue chicks ranging in shade from dark to very light indeed.

Have you bred either of them with any other chickens in the past? If not, you might try it, as a test to see what you get. Maybe breed the rooster with something like a Barred Rock hen (should absolutely not have the Blue gene, but the chicks would be color-sexable Easter Eggers so someone might like to buy the pullets after you see what colors they are.)

If you have any lavenders, you could also test-mate to see if either the hen or the rooster are carrying lavender. For this purpose, "lavender" is any chicken of any breed that has the lavender gene (even if it's a Porcelain d'Uccle or an Isabella Brahma or a Lavender Orpington or something like that.)

@nicalandia
Got a new one that may interest you.

Two of my 8 month old PBA in USA Project pullets have started laying, & they lay colored eggs. One lays a Teal(Blue Green), the other lays a Glossy Blue.
How common is this in Orientals, especially the old bloodlines?

The egg is darker in real life.
Teal egg from my Blue Duckwing Malay Pullet.(She's in the front)
20240222_132707.jpg
20240214_133806.jpg
Glossy Blue from the Splash Duckwing Malay Pullet.(On the right)
20240222_133612.jpg
20240214_133842.jpg

Just a recap: Their Father is Long, his Father is Goliath, Long's mother wasn't named, but a very beautiful Shrimp Tailed, short beaked Malay hen.

These pullets had the same mother as Long.

Based on the chicks you are getting, I would expect both parents to be blue. Or maybe one blue parent and one black, with the blue chicks ranging in shade from dark to very light indeed.

Have you bred either of them with any other chickens in the past? If not, you might try it, as a test to see what you get. Maybe breed the rooster with something like a Barred Rock hen (should absolutely not have the Blue gene, but the chicks would be color-sexable Easter Eggers so someone might like to buy the pullets after you see what colors they are.)

If you have any lavenders, you could also test-mate to see if either the hen or the rooster are carrying lavender. For this purpose, "lavender" is any chicken of any breed that has the lavender gene (even if it's a Porcelain d'Uccle or an Isabella Brahma or a Lavender Orpington or something like that.)
Yes, she was with a lot of other chickens up until the end of the year and then I moved her into the breeding pens. But no, she's a new pullet from eggs back East. These eggs were from Feb 3 though...is it possible she held onto other birds for THAT long? But even then...she would have to be blue to get me any splash chickens haha. That one chick is throwing me for a real loop! :D Unless it is the LIGHTEST blue I've ever seen haha.

I do have a lavender hen, so I might have to put her with Angus and see what I get! Black x black is supposed to be a simple and straightforward cross! :p The babies sure are freaking adorable regardless :) Thanks NatJ!

Back
Top Bottom