The babies are here!!!!!

I am also struggling with a chick that has pasty butt and have been working with him since the day I got him (4 days ago) He is alot smaller then his hatch mates and they don't seem to be having any butt issues. Out of 6 chicks I recieved 1 died, 1 has pasty butt but the other 4 seem to be perfectly fine so far. The one chick that died showed no signs of weakness or stress. I hope the little guy with the pasty butt pulls through. I've been cleaning his butt with warm water to clear the vent 2-3 times daily and he will drink water but I don't think he is eating any food yet. His size also worries me sice he is half the size of his hatch mates.

The day after they arrived I had to treat 13 of my 16 baby day old chicks for pasty butt But I only had to do it twice (2 days in a row). After washing all the pasty stuff off their butts I rubbed the area with a coating of vasoline which they proceeded to try to "clean themselves of " but it worked and no more pasty butt. It keeps the area slick so poop won't stick. I also added a Tbls of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar in their water supply daily. It helps with good bacteria in their systems which is why they have this issue. You can also make a mash with their chick feed and a good quality plain yoghurt for the live enzymes. I did this also with a plain Greek yoghurt
It is very impt all your chicks eat though so repeatedly tap the chick feeder (like you are pecking it) and place your hesitant one's beak in it. Good luck with your babies and keep them warm!! :)

I just now saw this... I am so sorry to hear about your loss, that must just be terrible at this point.

We moved our 8 outside a few days ago and so far they are doing well and enjoying the freerange.

We will be getting our next batch from Cackle Hatchery in about 2 weeks, we've heard from several people that Cackle birds grow bigger, lay more eggs, are generally are more healthy.
Also for us it's better since we can drive there to pick them up and spare them shipping.

Back
Top Bottom