The babies moved out to the Coop! (Pic Heavy)

I also plan to cut openings (covered with hardware cloth) with flap down doors on either side of the windows on both sides in the spring!

Last edited:
Quote:
A ridge vent is pretty darn easy to install on an existing roof. Here's some general instructions: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Install+a+Ridge+Vent_798471914_

I
installed a metal ridge vent on my coop. The advantage is that I didn't have to shingle over it. They look like this.
ridge-vent-4.JPG

Here are instructions on how to install these: http://www.doityourselfhomeroofrepair.com/ridge-vents/

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
:
clap.gif

GoldDogsMom, that is a great looking coop. And those chickies are adorable! I especially want to snuggle with the one with the white chest feathers.
love.gif

rpchris, that's a great idea, I will have to go check out the shingle situation...I would think that would be the ideal ventilation! - Thanks! oh by the way, did your girls "cry" their first night in the new coop? I just went to check on them and when I shut the door behind me they were so pathetic sounding I had to go back in...

wishing bee, funny you picked her out, I call her Brave Chicken because every since I got them she was the bravest-would always run over to see me and still does! Loves to be petted!

Quote:
They were fine...until I went to check on them. I said my usual "Hello ladies" and then they all started chirping like crazy.
he.gif
I had to just walk away. Now when I go out to the coop they just look at me as if to say "Yeah, what do you want? Did you bring treats?"

I don't remember being this concerned with my first girls...I just checked on them again and they were all huddled up against the main door...8x8 coop and they are literally leaning on the door!

Oh no poor girls...! Go and put them up on the roost one by one and show them what to do...they will settle down and get the hang of it...

Your coop looks awesome and I love the shape of the old barn...and love the idea of a free old barn...reuse, recycle, repurpose! Awesome!

The baby girls did great last night, last checked them at 11 pm and the coop temp was 58, woke at 3 am and of course had to check them, coop temp was 55 and this morning it was 50! Yeah! My plan was if the temp dropped below 50 in the coop to turn on the heat lamp...no need and They are all awake and happy!

dwegg, I am going to try setting them on the roost tonight, figured they had enough change for 1 day and they had been sleeping in a huddled pile while still in the brooder...figured they would keep each other warm jik...and I think the big coop intimidated them
hmm.png

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I am very happy with how my recycled shed is working out! Even the windows were repurposed/recycled! The smaller windows were pieces of plexi we had left from another project and the big window in the back was a scratched window that the builder replaced when building our home!

Back
Top Bottom