The bad thing about this BYC section: An Observation

Here's the method I used to get my first chickens to lay eggs at exactly 20 weeks like I had read.

I went out there and had a little talk with them. I told them we had a lot of people coming over that weekend and the menu was either going to be EGGS or CHICKEN "you decide". They started laying the next day. True Story.

lau.gif
Funny Ruth! I tried that with my girls but mentioned I hadnt used my roasting pan in a while. Didnt work. Woodmort is quite right. As impatient as everyone is to get that first egg, chickens will lay when they are ready and not before. I am a newbie this year and it seemed like forever before I got that first egg. However, I spent my time waiting for said egg enjoying the company and antics of my girls, especially when they are freeranging. Most people dont understand my attachment and telling of what my chickens did but I dont care. They are worth the wait and are now giving me some wonderful eggs!

Quote:
I hope everyone with 20 week old pullets runs outside and tries this....

Seems like I just read of one hen who started laying at one YEAR.

Very good info in this post, and some good laughs, too.

That's the reason why I like to raise my replacement layers in the late summer/early fall. The cooler weather seems to make them hearty and better layers in the late spring when compared to those hatched in the spring. Just an observation.

there should be a sticky at the top of this section about egg laying, approximation of when they might start reasons for birds to stop laying hidden nest and anything concerning a chicken laying eggs. that people question all the time.

First off I want my chickies to be happy and healthy. I had one RIR that I didnt think she would lay. She was way behind everyone in comb developement.She had attitude all the time so we named her Stink Eye. But within a few weeks after the others started like over night the comb grew and she started laying. Attitude improved too. But I just figured if she never laid that was ok, she was still one of my girls and she would live her life out here same as the others. Give em time they will do their thing. I just hope mine never get sick to where they have to be put down. Couldnt do it myself so I would have to have a vet do it. They are my babies just like my kids. I have 1 daughter that cant have kids doesnt mean I'm gonna cull her although some times for other reasons thought of culling a kid or 2
lau.gif

Our girls are 18 weeks old, and although I'm excited about getting eggs soon, I read they are all slow maturing breeds, and I think it would freak me out and worry me if they had started laying really early. They are all very sweet, and some of them are snuggly, and I hope that doesn't change when they are all grown up and laying!

On the other hand, where would we be without all the sage advice from those of you who have already been there. That, I really appreciate. Just sayin'.......

Back
Top Bottom