The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

These two just hatched yesterday, another one joined them later, but it was still fluffing up when I took these. I love the chocolate beaks!

awwww, lovely mauve babies!

Well, my splash hen is broody alright. I decided to order chicks for her this time instead of giving her fertile eggs. How many LF Orp chicks do you think a bantam Orp can cover @Faraday40 ? I ordered 8 but the breeder sometimes sends a few extras.
A lot may depend on the season. If it's 30'F, I recommend putting fewer chicks with a bantam because of the danger of freezing. If it's 70'F or warmer, 7-8 chicks should be fine. As they outgrow her spread, they will also need less heat. Even if you had 20+ chicks you could still use the broody by putting her inside the large brooder with a heat plate (or heating pad broody mama) for the overflow. Meanwhile, give your hen something to sit on to keep her broody.

My bantam orp always hatches exactly 7 chicks. When I gave her 8-10 eggs, each time only 7 hatched. When I gave her 6 eggs, she stole one & still hatched 7 chicks!
idunno.gif
I guess that's her lucky number. LOL

Pictures of my flock, I culled hard from last year, keeping only 2 Blue & 3 Black hens. One of the Blacks is currently raising a trio of Olive Egger chicks, so she isn't pictured. My roo is Mauve. I'm really looking forward to hatching this season.
smile.png

Hi Everyone! Been lurking here for a while. Gorgeous birds ^ btw. I have LF orpingtons and love them. I am considering the possibility of adding bantam orps or eventually switching to all bantams. Where has everyone gotten their birds originally? I don't see many hatching eggs available either on Ebay, or here on the BST page. Anyone have any tips? Breeders that ship eggs or chicks etc? I dont show (yet ;)) but would like to start with good quality birds.

Back
Top Bottom