The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

I got a mix of bantams. I've been waiting somewhat patiently for them to grow so I can find out which kind of bantams I have. After some reading and a bit of research, I think this is a black Orpington bantam.

This little one is 19 days old.
Am I right in my guess?

Last edited:

Purchased these Buff Orpington Bantams back in August 2013. They will be 24 weeks old tomorrow , Wednesday, Feb, 05, 2014. Just beginning to lay small bantam size eggs. in this sub freezing weather.
Update: These girls are just now, at 31 weeks old, getting somewhat organized at laying eggs. Two are getting into the daily act, and one is sporadic. The fourth one has laid one egg when she was 28 weeks old, and hasn't laid another since, but I have hope that she will eventually.

Update: These girls are just now, at 31 weeks old, getting somewhat organized at laying eggs. Two are getting into the daily act, and one is sporadic. The fourth one has laid one egg when she was 28 weeks old, and hasn't laid another since, but I have hope that she will eventually.

Those look like some nice hens you have there!

Those look like some nice hens you have there!
Thanks tandersphoenix. They have a lot of fluffy feathers that make them look on the healthy side. These are my first BO bantams, so I don't know about their conformation, but there breast is very pointed. Because of that, and not eating like they did when they were growing, I changed their feed.
I took them off Gamebird starter 28% at 16 weeks, and put them on chicken laying pellets 17% protein, and 3% calcium. They never seemed to like the size of the pellets, and they have slowed down considerably in feed consumption. So, now they're on a 18% protein Gamebird Ration crumble with 2.75% calcium . They really like it, and since then, they're starting to lay. So, this is what I'm going to feed all my bantams now. It cost about .07cents more per pound, but it is the only crumble I can find that runs close to a laying pellet. Stores here don't sell the laying mash...?

Yay! I now have a handful of buff orp bantam chicks! They Were hatched 3/26. They seem to be growing at a slower rate than the sebrights that I have in with them. I have them on a 19% chick starter/grower crumbles...maybe because they are not as aggressive eaters as the sebrights? I see them eating and drinking ok. Thoughts, advice?

Hi Elliemae,
I am sure there are large differences in growth with the different breeds that are normal, but maybe someone who has experiences with both breeds can give an answer? Besides that, there is scientific evidence that the slower growing individuals actually turn out healthier with better immune systems, which is why commercial broiler strains are so susceptible to disease as they have been selected for rapid growth. Everyone thinks culling slow growers will give a healthy flock but the opposite might actually be true. Gail Damerow's guide to raising chickens says 18 - 20 % protein for pullets 0 to 6 weeks old, so you should be alright there, just make sure they always have access to the food and water and don't get bullied.

Last edited:
Hey Sagetown.
my spangle orp hen is about 4 months old and started laying eggs with a vengeance. the poor thing started off with an egg every day, getting up to nice bantam egg size and then one day laid a massive egg the size of a standard large, then went back to normal. that lasted about a week, then she stopped laying for two weeks. it all seems very stressful!

Hey Sagetown.
my spangle orp hen is about 4 months old and started laying eggs with a vengeance. the poor thing started off with an egg every day, getting up to nice bantam egg size and then one day laid a massive egg the size of a standard large, then went back to normal. that lasted about a week, then she stopped laying for two weeks. it all seems very stressful!
Ouch!
Hey hedz82: Yesterday, April 04,2014, all four pullets laid their egg. Here it is 33 weeks as of last Tuesday, since they were hatched, and they've finally got their heads together, and decided it's time to get down to business. Yea !!!

Back
Top Bottom