The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

My little shoulder chick, 4 weeks old. She jumps up there every chance she gets.

Awww....what a precious baby.
love.gif

Jeremy - You have mauve; do you have any pictures of the chicks? I hatched Silkie x bantam Orp chicks and I have a chocolate cuckoo boy, chocolate hen, and blue/splash partridge Silkies. I think I ended up with three mauve, one blue, one solid chocolate and one chocolate cuckoo :)

Blue

Mauve?

Three mauve?, one chocolate, blue, and Lav Am at the bottom!

Jeremy - You have mauve; do you have any pictures of the chicks? I hatched Silkie x bantam Orp chicks and I have a chocolate cuckoo boy, chocolate hen, and blue/splash partridge Silkies. I think I ended up with three mauve, one blue, one solid chocolate and one chocolate cuckoo :) Blue Mauve? Three mauve?, one chocolate, blue, and Lav Am at the bottom!
Ack! Adorable! I had a Mauve once and it was a little darker hut that was the color! I think those are mauve!

I agree with Faraday40 that is just so much comb not to be a boy. This was our little guy at 7 weeks for comparison:

The only thing that made me think he was a roo was his stance and tail feathers. As you can see his comb and wattle situation was almost nonexistent. If your baby didn't have the comb and wattle stuff going on I can see how you might you might think it was a pullet because of the way he is holding himself. I kind of went back and forth for a while on ours too and then at about 12 weeks his headgear appeared and there was no doubt. He was just so sick from the very start that he has been a late bloomer all around. Oh, does your little guy stand on top of everything to get a better view? That is the first behavior that made me think our little fellow was a rooster.
I'm still kinda on the fence as the breeder I got "it" from states that some of her hens have large combs...at times I think def a roo and at other times a hen? But the other day when "it" was out in the run a standard size chickens decided to check them out (through the fence) and "it" was puffing up and charging at a standard size hen? I would say that is rooster behavior, No?

I'm still kinda on the fence as the breeder I got "it" from states that some of her hens have large combs...at times I think def a roo and at other times a hen? But the other day when "it" was out in the run a standard size chickens decided to check them out (through the fence) and "it" was puffing up and charging at a standard size hen? I would say that is rooster behavior, No?
I have hens that showcase that behavior, so I wouldn't say that it was indicative of gender. Determining sex on this breed is pretty straightforward.. Especially for me since my other two breeds are Silkies and Ameraucanas!

I have hens that showcase that behavior, so I wouldn't say that it was indicative of gender. Determining sex on this breed is pretty straightforward.. Especially for me since my other two breeds are Silkies and Ameraucanas!
I am going to take more photos, in looking at the ones I have it may look like more comb than is actually there, I've been told to look at the neck feathers but I see no indication there of rooster? So I'll try to take more of a close up.

I u

I used to think it was very straightforward. My sister-in-law has one that has us stumped. We swore we had a pullet until it crowed. I know some hens crow even if that is extremely rare. So we are waiting for an egg. Comb has gotten bigger but still not as big as the definite cockerels.

I am going to take more photos, in looking at the ones I have it may look like more comb than is actually there, I've been told to look at the neck feathers but I see no indication there of rooster? So I'll try to take more of a close up.
Not neck - saddle feathers on the back. They will come in more pointy in a male.

See the long, tapering feathers near the tail?

Here are two Bantam Orp chicks at roughly the same age as yours, maybe a bit younger. Female in front, male in back.

Back
Top Bottom