The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

@Honora broodies with babies are the best.
love.gif

@Faraday40 these hens are chick crazy! My black hen & my splash hen are both broody right now but I have to break them cause I am going on vacation. I hate to do it though, cause I really love to see them with chicks. :) They are such good mothers.

Bantam Orps are very broody!
This is actually's Cookie's 2nd hatch in 2017. For now we kept 4 of her 1st hatch.
IMG_1323.jpg IMG_2016 copy.jpg IMG_2137.JPG
2 lav orp males, a choc cuckoo orp female, & a penciled rock female.

Again, Cookie went broody while I had some incubator eggs going. I slipped 3 eggs under her, then let her adopt 3 more from the incubator. I put her into the big brooder - which already had 2 doz 2 week old chicks. She didn't seem to mind them being there & after a couple days, she claimed them as her own. All of the 2 wk olds are for sale, so they're staying in the garage away from the flock. (Biosecurity since the eggs did not come from my flock & since many people are stopping by to see the chicks.) Meanwhile my Sebright went broody at the same time, so she sleeps in a dog crate in the garage with her 6 chicks.

It's so fun to watch the diff broody parenting styles. Cookie is very, very strict. She always makes all her chicks stay within a wing's stretch. Even with so many! Notice how they have the whole tractor but are right next to her. She's always calling to them and makes them follow her. She's also very obsessive about teaching them to scratch!
IMG_2168.jpg

Trouble, my Sebright, is more laid back & allows her chicks more freedom to learn & explore. The chicks wander around & she follows them. She's very protective vocally, though. If a hen comes too close to her chicks, everyone will hear it. Her fav thing is teaching her chicks how to quickly dart in & steal treats away from the slow moving orps. She also likes taking her chicks under the fence to visit the neighbors' yards. Thankfully, the chicks grow too big for that by about 3 weeks.
IMG_2181.JPG

During the day these two hens are sharing a large tractor with a screen divider between them. I'm hoping they will buddy up like last time. There's a small passage between them so the chicks can pass through & have play dates. The 1st day I had some older chicks on both sides, but Cookie called all of them to her side.

Mocha is on her 2nd hatch of this year too! 3 out of 8 have hatched so far. Kahlua and Godiva are sitting on their feet (both have already hatched clutches this year too), but I'm not letting them have any eggs yet. These girls are crazy broody!
WP_20170628_08_02_23_Pro_LI.jpg

Found this one out from under Mocha this morning, chilled and almost dead. Stuck it in the incubator for a couple of hours, it was up and running fine, so I gave it back to her.
WP_20170628_10_46_52_Pro_LI.jpg

Mocha is on her 2nd hatch of this year too! 3 out of 8 have hatched so far. Kahlua and Godiva are sitting on their feet (both have already hatched clutches this year too), but I'm not letting them have any eggs yet. These girls are crazy broody!
View attachment 1058176

Found this one out from under Mocha this morning, chilled and almost dead. Stuck it in the incubator for a couple of hours, it was up and running fine, so I gave it back to her.
View attachment 1058175

It's adorable! Is that a mauve orp?

She's so pretty!

I hatched a couple eggs that were supposed to be mauve orps. They looked like yours at hatch but then feathered in white. I kept one & named her Oopsie. (I thought the breeder made a mistake or had a visiting roo. LOL It turns out he had some hidden white genes somewhere in his line.) When I bred Oopsie to my black orp roo, I got my 1st ever blue orp. Genetics are fun sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom