The Bantam Thread!

These will be my first Bantams and as I understand it they are very small and delicate when just chicks. So I am hoping for the best and ready (as much as you can be) for the worst. There is a lady near Waco TX that breeds and sells Seramas which are even smaller than the Sebrights so, if this does not work, I may just go to her and buy and bring them home myself.  Good luck with yours.

I have silkies right now and just got a silver hamburg. They are both bantams, the hamburg is tiny. Im really hoping the sebrights make it... And im curious about what my bantam assortments will be :)

I have silkies right now and just got a silver hamburg. They are both bantams, the hamburg is tiny. Im really hoping the sebrights make it... And im curious about what my bantam assortments will be
smile.png
Here is hoping that one of the assortment will be a Blue Silkie simply because they only had one left and could not sell it solo.

Here is hoping that one of the assortment will be a Blue Silkie simply because they only had one left and could not sell it solo.
I'm really hoping so but it will be interesting to see and guess what they send. I would love splashes just because they look so neat!

Just got an email from the hatchery. My order has shipped. Eight Sebright Bantams (Golden and Silver) SR. And, what ever they put in the box for warmth. They are a day early but I am ready. Have the brooder all set up and tested for heat (which they would not have needed today it almost hit 100 degrees). I may need to also have a fan available since we have some on-again off-again heat trying to not give up the last days of summer. I will be at the post office probably before they even get there but I want to make sure they get home and safe in their brooder as soon as possible. I understand the Bantams are delegate as chicks (more so than large birds) and am concerned about their trip but the next 48-72 hours will tell.

I will, of course, post pictures as soon as everyone is settled and calmed down (not the least of which will be me).

Wonder
Just got an email from the hatchery. My order has shipped. Eight Sebright Bantams (Golden and Silver) SR. And, what ever they put in the box for warmth. They are a day early but I am ready. Have the brooder all set up and tested for heat (which they would not have needed today it almost hit 100 degrees). I may need to also have a fan available since we have some on-again off-again heat trying to not give up the last days of summer. I will be at the post office probably before they even get there but I want to make sure they get home and safe in their brooder as soon as possible. I understand the Bantams are delegate as chicks (more so than large birds) and am concerned about their trip but the next 48-72 hours will tell.

I will, of course, post pictures as soon as everyone is settled and calmed down (not the least of which will be me).
Wonder if they will be here in the morning then :/ i was gonna call the post office tomorrow... Now im worried the chicks will be there. Hopefully i can grt ahold of them and pickup at the nearest post office rather than them sit on a truck

Wonder
Wonder if they will be here in the morning then
hmm.png
i was gonna call the post office tomorrow... Now im worried the chicks will be there. Hopefully i can grt ahold of them and pickup at the nearest post office rather than them sit on a truck
Did you get notification that they had shipped? I got the email late in the day and was surprised they had shipped a day early. I am only 300 miles from the hatchery so mine are an overnight shipment. Absolutely you should get in touch with your post office as soon as you can to let them know to expect the birds and to stop them from putting them on a truck to go out for delivery which could take all day and expose them to what ever weather you are having. Hope they all get here and there o.k. Let us know.

I got my
Did you get notification that they had shipped? I got the email late in the day and was surprised they had shipped a day early. I am only 300 miles from the hatchery so mine are an overnight shipment. Absolutely you should get in touch with your post office as soon as you can to let them know to expect the birds and to stop them from putting them on a truck to go out for delivery which could take all day and expose them to what ever weather you are having. Hope they all get here and there o.k. Let us know.

I got my email at 6pm which was to late to call the post office. Ill call them as soon as possible in the morning. I know they usually get shipments early, before they open. .. But they won't answer the phone at that time.

Just looked at the hours and they arent open til 9:30... I bet they will already be on the truck by then. I hope they call me. My post man is really nice so If he heard peeps he might be extra careful...

Just looked at the hours and they arent open til 9:30... I bet they will already be on the truck by then. I hope they call me. My post man is really nice so If he heard peeps he might be extra careful...
At my post office there are people sorting mail and getting ready for the day between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. I just go the the back door (loading dock) and stick my head in and ask if they have a live chick order for me. Usually I can hear the peeping and they are happy to get them out of there and not be responsible for them. Mine is a 15-20 minute drive so usually I just take a towel to put loosely over the box the keep drafts out, put it on the front seat with me and get them home as soon as possible. Make sure you have your brooder all set up and warm with food and water. Be sure they drink water (dip their beaks in the water as you put them into the brooder).Have their feed in a low feeder (for Bantams something about 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall) and a little food scattered around for them to discover. If you have not done so put paper towels on top of the shavings or what ever you are using for bedding for the first couple of days to discourage their eating the shavings. If they don't eat right away that is no problem for about a day or two as they have absorbed the yolk from their egg.

Of course you probably know all this and it is more an exercise for me to be sure I am ready for my little fuzzy butts. Best luck to us both. Be sure to post pictures as soon as you can and let us know what you get.

Back
Top Bottom