The Bantam Thread!

I don't know when you placed your order originally but all hatcheries, Ideal included, can only estimate a hatch count...and they do that very conservatively. So they may have 1,000 Silkie bantam eggs in the incubator. They look at their hatch history (just say 50%) so they estimate that they will have 500 chicks to sell in about a month. People place orders and they either are able to fill them or not. Sometimes they have a much higher hatch rate than they anticipate and they then have a "special" offering like they just had for Assorted Bantams (1.09 each on order of at least 25). They also have the breeds that are in the surplus which they can sell as breed specific orders. That is where I lucked out and was able to pay the almost 4.00 each price for a small order of Sebrights. And, I suspect that is why you are now able to see some of what you want offered online.

I am not trying to make excuses for Ideal or for the entire Hatchery business model. Many hatcheries basically just shut down for Fall and Winter because their ability to estimate a hatch rate is all skewed by the cold weather and shorter days. Hens are not the best of business partners after all.

Best of luck with your attempts to fine the birds you want. I just hope at this point that mine make it here alive and survive the critical first 48 hours.

I don't know when you placed your order originally but all hatcheries, Ideal included, can only estimate a hatch count...and they do that very conservatively. So they may have 1,000 Silkie bantam eggs in the incubator. They look at their hatch history (just say 50%) so they estimate that they will have 500 chicks to sell in about a month. People place orders and they either are able to fill them or not. Sometimes they have a much higher hatch rate than they anticipate and they then have a "special" offering like they just had for Assorted Bantams (1.09 each on order of at least 25). They also have the breeds that are in the surplus which they can sell as breed specific orders. That is where I lucked out and was able to pay the almost 4.00 each price for a small order of Sebrights. And, I suspect that is why you are now able to see some of what you want offered online.

I am not trying to make excuses for Ideal or for the entire Hatchery business model. Many hatcheries basically just shut down for Fall and Winter because their ability to estimate a hatch rate is all skewed by the cold weather and shorter days. Hens are not the best of business partners after all.

Best of luck with your attempts to fine the birds you want. I just hope at this point that mine make it here alive and survive the critical first 48 hours.
I completely understand that but when I talked to them on the phone I asked if I could be put on a list so if they did get more than expected I could them. They said yes... I'm not trying to be childish and be like "It's not fair" but I think its bad business. If you went to a restaurant or fast food place etc and they told you that they were out of what you wanted but would tell you if they got more than while your eating you see someone else has got that item and its limited quantity you wouldn't be happy either..

actually a XBOX1 when they first came out would have been a better analogy. You get my point though. Now I've got 4 local silkie chicks so when I hear back monday then I'll either not get the chicks even though I ordered first, or I'll have extras because of them. (You ordered after they had cancelled my order and they had a week to call).

I mean I'll still get in touch with them... and I'm not mad at you if that is how it seems (I'm happy for you and I hope they all make it =) ) I'm just frustrated with them!

Now I've got 4 local silkie chicks so when I hear back monday then I'll either not get the chicks even though I ordered first, or I'll have extras because of them. (You ordered after they had cancelled my order and they had a week to call).

I mean I'll still get in touch with them... and I'm not mad at you if that is how it seems (I'm happy for you and I hope they all make it =) ) I'm just frustrated with them!
Just grabbing at straws here to try and figure it out. I went to Ideal online and did a "mock" order for 5 Silver Sebrights, 5 Assorted Bantams and 5 Blue Silkies (I think that is the color you mentioned) and it says that they can not fill my order and can not predict when they would be able to. So I backed out and did the same order for just the Sebrights and Assorted Bantams and it says they would ship on the 8th. Then I did an order just for the Blue Silkies and again it says it can not fill my order or predict when they would be able to. It may be the Silkies that are not available and because it was all one order it says the entire order is not available. Like I said though, just grabbing at straws.

Good luck.

Just grabbing at straws here to try and figure it out. I went to Ideal online and did a "mock" order for 5 Silver Sebrights, 5 Assorted Bantams and 5 Blue Silkies (I think that is the color you mentioned) and it says that they can not fill my order and can not predict when they would be able to. So I backed out and did the same order for just the Sebrights and Assorted Bantams and it says they would ship on the 8th. Then I did an order just for the Blue Silkies and again it says it can not fill my order or predict when they would be able to. It may be the Silkies that are not available and because it was all one order it says the entire order is not available. Like I said though, just grabbing at straws.

Good luck.
I don't get why they wouldn't tell me that on the phone rather than cancel the whole order. I'll try an order =) Thanks.

Good luck.
I just reordered and got an order confirmation again so hopefully I get this order (5 sebrights and 3-4 assorted bantams). I don't understand why they didn't just tell me the silkies weren't avaliable in the first place but hopefully now I'll get my order by thursday/friday!

We just do not understand the Hatchery business! Most hatcheries do not raise very many of the breeds that they sell. They purchase eggs and trust that they are eggs of the breed and color that they purchase. They set the eggs and as mentioned earlier, they do not know how many will hatch. Some breeds are not identifable at hatch, and some colors, also. They sell CHICKS! The less common colors of a breed are not always obtainable at any given time of year. Layer and broiler breeds are always available--sources are dependable. Bantams are not so easy to get eggs. My breed is rarely available, so several hatcheries raise their own--in flocks of mixes breeds of bantams. (Clean legged or feather legged). They are lovely backyard banties, but NOT representative of the breed they may list!!!!! Chicks must be mailed out the day of hatch. Chicks not ordered are sometime just sold as mixed breeds or varieties of a breed--and they have no clue what they are sending, except that they are healthy, lovely CHICKS! Or, if not sold as mixes, they must be destroyed--and are!
I have bred and raised my breed for over 25 years. Hatcheries have written to me and asked if I would sell them eggs.
NEVER. I have spent years selecting and breeding the best of the breed that I can, keep records of every egg layed and hatched and who, I will not sell eggs to anyone that I do not know well, and that they understand how to breed the birds that they hatch and will want to show and breed!!!!!!! To waste the time and expense by having my birds bloodlines get lost--well, my birds are available and priced according to their quality. I do sell pet birds and sometimes give them to worthy chicken fanciers, who will never show or raise them for sale. All Champion Show birds do not produce the best offspring. They must be selected and their offspring seen.

If you want Silkies of special colors (I used to raise Silkies years agl!), go on line and Google Silkie Bantams. You will find breeders who will sell you what you want if you tell them what you DO want. (ask for pictures, prices) THe money spent will be less than raising unknown chicks from a hatchery,

HATCHERIES are so important to us all. I purchase layers and fryer chicks from hatcheries and we could not be without them. But for special breeds, bantams in particular, only a few breeds (Cochins for one) may be available in colors one may covet. But from Breeders is best for most Bantams and rare breeds! It is the only way that BREEDS can survive, if not mixed and changed.
Good luck!

I just reordered and got an order confirmation again so hopefully I get this order (5 sebrights and 3-4 assorted bantams). I don't understand why they didn't just tell me the silkies weren't avaliable in the first place but hopefully now I'll get my order by thursday/friday!
Please let me know how it works out. Where are you located? I am between Coleman and Lawn Texas so an Ideal order ships out at 5 p.m. one day and is at my post office the next morning at 6 a.m. The post office people know me and don't even blink an eye now when I come walking through the back door at 5 in the morning. I sure hope your order gets to you as fast and as safe.

Please let me know how it works out. Where are you located? I am between Coleman and Lawn Texas so an Ideal order ships out at 5 p.m. one day and is at my post office the next morning at 6 a.m. The post office people know me and don't even blink an eye now when I come walking through the back door at 5 in the morning. I sure hope your order gets to you as fast and as safe.
I am in Central AR so I am hoping it will be here the next morning since we are so close. I'm hoping the sebrights all come safe and healthy and I get at least one pair... of course I hope all the birds make it. I have 5 sebrights and 3 assorted bantams.

We just do not understand the Hatchery business! Most hatcheries do not raise very many of the breeds that they sell. They purchase eggs and trust that they are eggs of the breed and color that they purchase. They set the eggs and as mentioned earlier, they do not know how many will hatch. Some breeds are not identifable at hatch, and some colors, also. They sell CHICKS! The less common colors of a breed are not always obtainable at any given time of year. Layer and broiler breeds are always available--sources are dependable. Bantams are not so easy to get eggs. My breed is rarely available, so several hatcheries raise their own--in flocks of mixes breeds of bantams. (Clean legged or feather legged). They are lovely backyard banties, but NOT representative of the breed they may list!!!!! Chicks must be mailed out the day of hatch. Chicks not ordered are sometime just sold as mixed breeds or varieties of a breed--and they have no clue what they are sending, except that they are healthy, lovely CHICKS! Or, if not sold as mixes, they must be destroyed--and are!
I have bred and raised my breed for over 25 years. Hatcheries have written to me and asked if I would sell them eggs.
NEVER. I have spent years selecting and breeding the best of the breed that I can, keep records of every egg layed and hatched and who, I will not sell eggs to anyone that I do not know well, and that they understand how to breed the birds that they hatch and will want to show and breed!!!!!!! To waste the time and expense by having my birds bloodlines get lost--well, my birds are available and priced according to their quality. I do sell pet birds and sometimes give them to worthy chicken fanciers, who will never show or raise them for sale. All Champion Show birds do not produce the best offspring. They must be selected and their offspring seen.

If you want Silkies of special colors (I used to raise Silkies years agl!), go on line and Google Silkie Bantams. You will find breeders who will sell you what you want if you tell them what you DO want. (ask for pictures, prices) THe money spent will be less than raising unknown chicks from a hatchery,

HATCHERIES are so important to us all. I purchase layers and fryer chicks from hatcheries and we could not be without them. But for special breeds, bantams in particular, only a few breeds (Cochins for one) may be available in colors one may covet. But from Breeders is best for most Bantams and rare breeds! It is the only way that BREEDS can survive, if not mixed and changed.
Good luck!
I would like splash silkies which is why I was trying to buy blue silkies to breed my own splashes! I'm not a breeder nor a shower though so this was for myself and I can't justify spending the amount I would have to to buy from a private breeder nor driving hours for a chicken. There isn't a good breeder near me and even if they offered a good price shipping chickens is often really expensive unless you go through a hatchery.

I am in Central AR so I am hoping it will be here the next morning since we are so close. I'm hoping the sebrights all come safe and healthy and I get at least one pair... of course I hope all the birds make it. I have 5 sebrights and 3 assorted bantams.
These will be my first Bantams and as I understand it they are very small and delicate when just chicks. So I am hoping for the best and ready (as much as you can be) for the worst. There is a lady near Waco TX that breeds and sells Seramas which are even smaller than the Sebrights so, if this does not work, I may just go to her and buy and bring them home myself. Good luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom