The Bantam Thread!

Can anybody tell me what I have here other than BANTAMS? All 3 are close to 8 months old.
The 3rd one is bigger than my OEGB's and has poofy cheeks.
The one in the middle has like olive/willow colored legs.
The orange one has a little feathering on his legs and is fatter than my OEGB's.

Last edited:
The case of the suddenly non laying hens has been solved. They have been waiting until they are let out in the evenings and go to lay in the dog house we have in the breeze way. Found 7 this morning there after the dog went after something that was in there and it was Tiger so I looked in and felt around and viola, a nest full of eggs.

Could bantams be an exemption from zoning disallowing chickens?
Since they are not raised for meat or eggs but instead for pets and show Im wondering....
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this subject? Id love to start a discussion on this subject.
No one responded so Ill ask another question. All you bantam enthusiast out there, do you know of any good literature on the raising of bantys particularly around their value as pets and for show rather than an farm animals.

I already have chickens, ducks and geese but with all the online chatter of new chicks my OCD (obsessive chicken disease) has kicked in and I just ordered 8 golden and silver sebrights from Ideal. Given that in the past when I place small orders with Ideal they include extras it will be interesting to see what I end up with. Anyway they are due to ship next Wednesday (the 8th) and now I have to get busy and get the brooder ready then start working on their own coop and run.

I have 11 Bantams. (7 confirmed pullets, 1 rooster, and 3 silkies that I will wait until they crow or lay before making a 100% determination of gender.)

(I started out with 28 and this is what I am down to after chick deaths and getting rid of roosters.)

I have 3 Buff Orptington Bantams, 4 Silkies (one confirmed rooster), 1 Dominique, and 3 Easter Eggers (2 that have started laying)

We just got our first egg on Sunday. She laid Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. One other EE laid her first egg yesterday. I'm excited to get home tonight to see if I have more eggs. Sorry, @Lobzi , even though ours are bantams, they are for eggs, not pets/show.

I have weighed each egg. 1.1 oz, 1.1 oz, 1.2 oz, 1.1 oz

Peewee is 1.25 oz
Small is 1.5 oz
Medium is 1.75 oz
Large is 2.0 oz
X Large is 2.25 oz
Jumbo is 2.5 oz.

@katatonic123 - Most recipes are written based on using a large egg (2 oz). Depending on what size eggs your bantams produce, you might be looking at 2 bantam eggs for 1 recipe egg, or 3 bantam eggs for 2 recipe eggs, etc.

Here are a few of my photos:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom