The Bantam Thread!

No problem I get a decent sized eggs every once in awhile. Ive only heard of bantams raised for cock fighting never for their egg value but for me they are my dear pets. They are little ball of fluff, not any larger than a parrot and with the most graceful ability to fly. I dont see mine as barnyard animals at all. They are so unique.

I have an order in for some Sebright Bantams and I keep reading about their ability to fly. How well do they actually fly? I hope to be able to allow them to free range some when they are old enough but if they fly and clear our 5 foot fence between us and our neighbor how will I get them back?

I have an order in for some Sebright Bantams and I keep reading about their ability to fly. How well do they actually fly? I hope to be able to allow them to free range some when they are old enough but if they fly and clear our 5 foot fence between us and our neighbor how will I get them back?

you could try clipping their wings, look up a how to video it is surprisingly easy

I'm interested in Sebrights too.. but we do keep our chicks in tractors for their safety. Would that be a problem because there isn't a lot of ariel room.

I already have chickens, ducks and geese but with all the online chatter of new chicks my OCD (obsessive chicken disease) has kicked in and I just ordered 8 golden and silver sebrights from Ideal. Given that in the past when I place small orders with Ideal they include extras it will be interesting to see what I end up with. Anyway they are due to ship next Wednesday (the 8th) and now I have to get busy and get the brooder ready then start working on their own coop and run.
Let me know if you get your birds. They cancelled my order and I was supposed to be on a call list and I was told none of the breeds I wanted were avaliable! As of right now I'm seeing I'm able to order two!

you could try clipping their wings, look up a how to video it is surprisingly easy
Since these birds are for hobby/enjoyment/looks and part of their appeal is their structure and feather pattern I think I will probably not clip wings. I will just expand their enclosed and covered run to accommodate their tendency for flight (I have a peach and a mimosa tree in there already) and allow them to range only in their run. They are small, their run will be large, maybe they won't know the difference

Let me know if you get your birds. They cancelled my order and I was supposed to be on a call list and I was told none of the breeds I wanted were avaliable! As of right now I'm seeing I'm able to order two!
Will do. What breeds were you ordering? Ideal hatches year-round but of course some breeds slow down on mating and laying as it gets more into Fall and Winter so that may be why they were unable to fill your order. They do fill orders on a first-come basis so if I were to order 10 of a breed and you ordered 5 of that same breed before I placed my order they would fill your order first. So, if they only ended up with 8 hatches for that breed my order would be canceled or I would be offered a reduced order. I am hoping the Sebrights get her o.k. They are so small as chicks and at least rumored to be pretty fragile when that young. I am only an overnight shipment from Ideal but the weather is cold (mid-40's) at night now.

Will do. What breeds were you ordering? Ideal hatches year-round but of course some breeds slow down on mating and laying as it gets more into Fall and Winter so that may be why they were unable to fill your order. They do fill orders on a first-come basis so if I were to order 10 of a breed and you ordered 5 of that same breed before I placed my order they would fill your order first. So, if they only ended up with 8 hatches for that breed my order would be canceled or I would be offered a reduced order. I am hoping the Sebrights get her o.k. They are so small as chicks and at least rumored to be pretty fragile when that young. I am only an overnight shipment from Ideal but the weather is cold (mid-40's) at night now.
I ordered 5 and I ordered mix bantams, white silkies, and sebrights! When I ordered it only offered a october 22 ship date and if I order today its offering an october 8. I'm going to call them monday.. because when I looked they have the color silkies I really want (blue) and silver sebrights! I ordered before you so I don't get why my order was cancelled and I was told they would only have standard size breeds then your order goes through after mine for the same breed!

Back
Top Bottom