Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Of course!

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Why am I here???

Votes: 13 14.0%

• Total voters
Pics
They are all so beautiful!
So the male bobtail you got is quite a bit lighter than the female.
You kinda got my hopes up when I saw your girlee that my lil Stormie could possibly be a bobtail!
Guess she's just a little too dark a grey for that.

From my understanding, the Bobtail pattern is based on a sexlinked gene, so since males have two copies of the gene they are much lighter than the females, who can only have one copy of the gene.

Stormie's not quite patterned correctly for Bobtail, she has a pretty typical juvenile pattern for mottling. 🙂 Here's a black Mottled pullet in juvenile feathering, for example:

Bryony.jpg

Eeeek, babies!! 😍

Oh!!! Super cute lil babies!!! A mottled and a black?
Adorable!!!
From my understanding, the Bobtail pattern is based on a sexlinked gene, so since males have two copies of the gene they are much lighter than the females, who can only have one copy of the gene.

Stormie's not quite patterned correctly for Bobtail, she has a pretty typical juvenile pattern for mottling. 🙂 Here's a black Mottled pullet in juvenile feathering, for example:

View attachment 3390096
Ok, ok...I'll quit whining and wishing I had something I don't have! Lol
By chance do you have any breeding suggestions for a grey or blue mottled? I'm guessing it is referred to as blue since she's quite bit lighter than the black mottled pic above.

I desperately wanted to share this. My red bantam cochin Peach-whose appearance is from being a frazzle-began laying about a week ago at 1 year and 1 month old.
She’s already acting broody.
I’m fairly certain she’s still laying, but unless I take the eggs off of the nest she will sit there for long periods of times- and also goes back to the nest whenever there is a new egg for her to mother. Yesterday and today I heard her making the deep clucks and grumbles broody hens usually make, even while she was off the nest.
78A7A7F4-83CF-4F3C-AC64-E0CA9F0423C6.jpeg

I don’t think I’ll let her brood though. I am in Florida, and lucky enough to have hot days, but the nights for the next week will be getting as low as 40 degrees, and I just have doubts that she can keep the eggs a high enough temperature at night for them to survive.

I desperately wanted to share this. My red bantam cochin Peach-whose appearance is from being a frazzle-began laying about a week ago at 1 year and 1 month old.
She’s already acting broody.
I’m fairly certain she’s still laying, but unless I take the eggs off of the nest she will sit there for long periods of times- and also goes back to the nest whenever there is a new egg for her to mother. Yesterday and today I heard her making the deep clucks and grumbles broody hens usually make, even while she was off the nest.View attachment 3428591
I don’t think I’ll let her brood though. I am in Florida, and lucky enough to have hot days, but the nights for the next week will be getting as low as 40 degrees, and I just have doubts that she can keep the eggs a high enough temperature at night for them to survive.
Awe poor girl! Yeah for her health sake I would try to break her from being broody...but easier said than done I know.
Gorgeous baby u got!

Apparently the person I asked about showing chickens last year at the fair didn’t know what they were talking about… A friend said they had chickens and the program said it was open too! Never made it out of our dog 4H club section, it was soooooo busy. Ev is super excited about them (assuming) doing it this year and will enter our Betty and Olive. They were from a show breeder and not up to her standard (no idea why, they look adorable to me lol), but the best bred out of all our feed store birds

Jumping in here- yesterday I found myself saying I’d take my neighbor’s elderly friend’s little flock. The plan was to take just her three hens but I couldn’t bear to leave her rooster without his girls, so here we are. I have eight other birds, all standard size, including our rooster, but am totally new to bantam cochins.

They’ve tucked in to their own little section of my big coop, waiting on sunrise to see more of them 😌 and keeping an ear out for new rooster’s crow.

Gosh they seem delightful. I’m excited! And anxious about integrating everyone, but I seem to always add more when the yard seems too calm.

Attachments

• 034E24E2-94FA-46FE-8D23-AD651C52B113.jpeg
    034E24E2-94FA-46FE-8D23-AD651C52B113.jpeg
    943.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 9FD0E951-97C7-4887-8DCE-5D813819FC78.jpeg
    9FD0E951-97C7-4887-8DCE-5D813819FC78.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Jumping in here- yesterday I found myself saying I’d take my neighbor’s elderly friend’s little flock. The plan was to take just her three hens but I couldn’t bear to leave her rooster without his girls, so here we are. I have eight other birds, all standard size, including our rooster, but am totally new to bantam cochins.

They’ve tucked in to their own little section of my big coop, waiting on sunrise to see more of them 😌 and keeping an ear out for new rooster’s crow.

Gosh they seem delightful. I’m excited! And anxious about integrating everyone, but I seem to always add more when the yard seems too calm.
They are beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom