the best dust bath...

I hung one of those bird mite disc things up in the coop with my six birds for prevention...
It was probably a waste of money since they live outside and whatever comes out of that thing probably dissipates in the breeze.
roll.png
I just figured it was worth a try...no mites or lice yet, but you never know. Is any kind of DE ok, or do you specifically need to ask for food grade? I worry about DE because of how bad it is even for humans to breathe in...any thoughts?

Since I first learned about chickens dust bathing I have made Chickie a dusty box using a cardboard box such as the one the holds soda cans and filled it with 1/3 sand, 1/3 fine dirt from my yard, and 1/3 ash. The fireplace ash is so soft and dusty that I keep adding more of it than any of the other parts to refill.

I would never tell anyone to use something that I haven't had first hand experience with....no repeating what someone else said, just hands on I know it's right information.

5% sevin dust (carbaryl) can be purchased at any farm store on any given day....folks that don't have anything good to say about this product, don't use it and prolly have lice and mites in the flock.

I simply add some in the dusting areas twice a year, once in the spring when the dusting areas dry up enough, and again in the fall before the ground becomes hard in our area.

Dusting birds appear to be eating the dusting material, however it is their way to loosen the soil and bring it close to their bodies.

Hens are too smart to eat things that aren't good for them....my free range flock never becomes ill from eating things that would kill them, and I assure you that their is alot of things they avoid. I would give the flock the chance to show you just how much they actually know.

You just gotta love those pretty hens.

bigzio

I've never tried DE so I can't comment on it, but I did find chicken lice on a couple of my hens a couple of weeks ago and used the sevin on them. It has worked and hasn't seemed to have any negative effects on them so I have no complaints. I would just make sure to use it in moderation and do not eat eggs from the chickens for several days.

Just curious bkterry, did you read the link I posted? 56 days later there was still sevin in the eggs. Not trying to convince anyone from using sevin, just wondering if you read it.

I did read it, but I don't have any hens laying right now though. 90% of my chickens were born in late March so they haven't started laying yet and my other two hens are going through their summer molt and haven't laid for about 2 months. I don't think I'd use the sevin while they are laying, but since we aren't getting eggs right now, and I don't expect any til late fall I think we should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom