The best ever yard cart

nikkers390

Crowing
16 Years
May 7, 2007
Ft. Myers FL (in the Boonies)
They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Here is what I did.
We live on 5 acres in SW FL. The ground here can be anywhere from a dust bowl to a swamp. I am disabled and have difficulty walking without help. I am also the sole caretaker of our 2 donkeys, 7 geese, 15 Muscovy ducks and a couple dozen chickens. Our
pasture and pens are over 200 feet from our house.I keep the feed in a shed by the house. The walk is across some pretty uneven ground, but the job has to be done.
I found that my old used wheelchair is a blessing. I keep a cloth bag across the handles in the back. I keep a bunch of supplies there; fly spray, brushes, curry comb, bag balm for the donkeys. I separate the feed for the birds in plastic grocery bags, one for the chickens and one for the waterfowl. Greens, treats, whatever, I hang those over the handles in the back. If it gets too heavy, I just put them on the seat. The big wheels move easily over the ground even when swampy.
I walk behind the chair to help me walk and when I'm done with the chores, I have a comfy chair to sit and communicate with the critters. When I am through feeding, I put the used plastic bags in the cloth bag and discard when I get back home. A nice benefit is that I take my chair with me so I don't have to leave one in the pens for the chickens to enjoy (yuk)
D.gif

Most chairs will hold between 250/300# so they are workhorses.
It is terrific for moving plant, soil, mulch too.
I don't use the chair when I shop, but it is ready and waiting for me to carry my groceries when I come home. Just load it up and wheel it up (we have a lift) a ramp and into the kitchen to unload.
It is a handy tool besides it's intended purpose which is to aid mobility.
Does anyone else re-purpose things to help them with their work?
old.gif

Another wonderful idea is to use the large wheels attached to a farm gate. It makes the gate open almost effortlessly. We had to pull and tug on the 16' gate when it started to sag. Hubby attached a lawnmower wheel and it did not help much. He had an extra wheelchair wheel and used that. What a difference!. Remove the metal hand ring before installing. This is better than a bicycle tire because these wheels never go flat.

Back
Top Bottom