The Best Material for Lining a Nest Box

VetsJetsnGuns

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Wisconsin
My chickens sometimes use the next boxes. I put linoleum tile for the floors, and was lining them with paper from my shredder (best use of junk mail ever) but I think they ate it. As satisifying as it is to see junk mail turned to chicken poop, I figure this is not the best route to go on this.

SO, What do you use to line your nest boxes? Is there a special technique to it? (ie, how deep, stuff it full and let the chickens do what they like, etc.) Cheap and easy is important.

(I'm sure somethread like this is out there, but I did honestly spend some time looking for it)

Last edited:
I had to can my experiment. The bale of staw was $5 and it was huge; in order to store as much as possible I stuffed my 4 nest boxes with it. I'm not complaining; 1st day with the new straw, 1st day ever of NO floor eggs, and all eggs were VERY clean. I think I'm gonna stick with straw.

Last edited:
I prefer pine shavings for my nest boxes. Then when I clean out I compost them for my garden....

Julie
smile.png

I used dried grass clippings. After mowing the lawn I rake up a bucket full and spread it out and let it dry for a couple days before I put it in their box. I mow the lawn every other week so the nest boxes get cleaned and refilled at that time. The grass that been drying for the week goes into the nest box and replaced with fresh clipping to dry. I just throw the grass in there so it is probally 6-8" deep and the girls go in there an tramp it down in to a nice rounded nests. Just make sure the grass is completely brown and dry.
Cheap, easy and always available.

Cory

Pine shavings are what I use. Granted, I've not tried anything else but these seem to work for my girls so I'm not going to tinker. I actually have thought about using the shredded paper mixed in with shavings for the floor (I work at a place that shreds lots of stuff) but now am not so sure since you think they eat them.....

Back
Top Bottom