The Best Plymouth Barred Rocks, Who has them?

I would try feed stores or top ranked online hatcheries. Do not go to tractor supply as they sell some mixed breed and not sexed birds.

You cannot buy exhibition quality birds from hatchery sources nor from TSC which merely re-sells hatchery chicks.

Some of the best Barred Rocks are bred by Frank Reese of Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch, the XW Poultry Ranch who is here on BYC as jwhip, also Marvin Stukel, Guy Roy, Jamie Duckworth who is here on BYC as ducktang, and finally, saying every so modestly, me.
big_smile.png

Really, Fred's Hens? Because I'm searching for quality APA / SOP Barred Plymouth Rocks for breeding and egg supply and getting tired of some hatcheries selling sub par birds. How can I secure some chicks for a flock? Currently I'm raising Buckeyes ...trying my best with these guys since they're from a hatchery and not the best in terms of the SOP...but, can you help me get some nice little barred rock chicks? Thank you in advance.

Really, Fred's Hens? Because I'm searching for quality APA / SOP Barred Plymouth Rocks for breeding and egg supply and getting tired of some hatcheries selling sub par birds. How can I secure some chicks for a flock? Currently I'm raising Buckeyes ...trying my best with these guys since they're from a hatchery and not the best in terms of the SOP...but, can you help me get some nice little barred rock chicks? Thank you in advance.
I'm obviously not Fred, but I can point you in some good directions until he gets here.....

Are you looking for chicks or eggs? Fred has (had?) an ad for shipping eggs for incubating. His flock is true eye candy--they're beautiful, quality birds. This is the first time I've noticed he's selling eggs, so I'm guessing he's just now got his flock up to where he wants, SOP wise.....

There are good threads here about barred Rocks--one titled Good Shepherd's . Cruise around this section and you'll find them. Those folks can let you know who has eggs or chicks for sale.

hi Donrae! thanks for your reply...i'm looking for chicks, but would do eggs, although i'm a true beginner...now i'm beginning to fear lock down on my Buckeye eggs next week thinking i did something wrong, like, what if i get chicks that are bleeding or screwed up somehow...what do you do with them? flush them down the toilet? what do other people do when they don't hatch out right? i am not one for assisting birds, since let nature take its course...i made sure i chose the best eggs possible from my flock...but this is how we learn huh...

I will look for the good sheperd thread...how would I find Fred's ad? You've whetted my appetite now for nice standard birds..it's amazing what feed stores sell these days.

Thanks sooo much!
smile.png

Here's Fred's sale ad. He may be too modest to promote himself much, so I will! I'm having a lot of fun with my mixes and sex links, but if/when I ever get serious about raising a good heritage bird I want them to look like his.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rhode-island-red-heritage-lines-quality-birds

And some threads on Rock in general, and barred...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/811228/the-plymouth-rock-breeders-thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/399477/barred-rocks-good-shepard-poulty-ranch

Back
Top Bottom