The best way to open a quail egg?

animal8

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Oxford
Hey, does anyone know the best way to open a quail egg if you want to poach them?? I have heard that you can use the tip of a vegetable knife to crack the shell 1/4 down the point of the eggs and break the membrane so you can flip the top off, but that sounds very intricate. Is there a better way to do this?

And does anyone have any interesting recipes for quail and/or their eggs?? Got two quail that I need to cook
big_smile.png

Quote:
Just like a chicken egg? How would you do that without smashing it; they're so tiny
big_smile.png
Do you have a prefered method of cooking them?

I LOVE my quail egg cutters. I just got them recently and they make opening quail eggs for breakfast a snap. A guy near here sells them a little more expensively than some other places, but his price includes shipping so I think it comes in a little lower. Nice guy, too. Here:

http://www.cloverquailfarm.com/order.html

Scroll to the bottom for the cutters. He also has some water nipple thingies that are cool, though I've never used them. He's got a nice set up and takes great care of his birds. He sold me my wonderful little gal that's laid an egg every single day since, plus three younger girls who haven't started laying yet, plus my clippers. Really good to do business with.

Does anyone know if I can buy these quail egg cutters in the UK? I tried to search for it on the internet, but only came up with American websites
hmm.png
I would try the knife method but I'm too nervous that I'll shatter the egg, so I haven't tried yet. It would be handy if I did have one of these nifty tools. Would make life easier
big_smile.png
Want to experiment with cooking eggs as I've only had hard boiled so far.

Back
Top Bottom