The best way to open a quail egg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by animal8, Aug 21, 2011.

1. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Hey, does anyone know the best way to open a quail egg if you want to poach them?? I have heard that you can use the tip of a vegetable knife to crack the shell 1/4 down the point of the eggs and break the membrane so you can flip the top off, but that sounds very intricate. Is there a better way to do this?

And does anyone have any interesting recipes for quail and/or their eggs?? Got two quail that I need to cook [​IMG]

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Just like a chicken egg

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

quail egg cutters!

4. animal8

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Just like a chicken egg? How would you do that without smashing it; they're so tiny [​IMG] Do you have a prefered method of cooking them?

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    INCUBATE THEM... IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY AND ALL THE VARIABLES LINE UP THEY WILL OPEN THEMSELVES [​IMG]

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I do the pairing knife method, poke, and flip.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I LOVE my quail egg cutters. I just got them recently and they make opening quail eggs for breakfast a snap. A guy near here sells them a little more expensively than some other places, but his price includes shipping so I think it comes in a little lower. Nice guy, too. Here:

http://www.cloverquailfarm.com/order.html

Scroll to the bottom for the cutters. He also has some water nipple thingies that are cool, though I've never used them. He's got a nice set up and takes great care of his birds. He sold me my wonderful little gal that's laid an egg every single day since, plus three younger girls who haven't started laying yet, plus my clippers. Really good to do business with.

8. animal8

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Does anyone know if I can buy these quail egg cutters in the UK? I tried to search for it on the internet, but only came up with American websites [​IMG] I would try the knife method but I'm too nervous that I'll shatter the egg, so I haven't tried yet. It would be handy if I did have one of these nifty tools. Would make life easier [​IMG] Want to experiment with cooking eggs as I've only had hard boiled so far.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You don't like omelets. Dang, quail eggs are small I just open up a bunch & make an omelet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by