The biggest downside of living out in the boonies...

ImpulsiveFarmer

Songster
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Chautauqua County, NY
... is satellite internet. It's not even cloudy today and it's still slower than death! I can barley do anything. It takes me a half hour to load a 4 minute youtube video.
barnie.gif

It probably wouldn't bother me if I wasn't used to high speed cable internet. I used to watch all my tv shows via the internet before I moved, now it takes me all day to watch one episode. I think we are going to have to get satellite tv again or else I'm going to go stir crazy this winter. Even I get tired of reading after a while.

We just moved into a house not far from the nearest town, but inconveniently placed on the side of a... well, you can't call it a hill, but it's blocking the internet signals. The national ones as well as the local ones. So landline it is. Oops, branch fell on the line. 6 Weeks ago. Can't get company to come fix it. Landlord phoned, neighbour phoned, I phoned... Still waiting. We finally, after 2 weeks, found an internet service provider that miraculously covers our little patch, but it's on-off. Was unable to get on about 2 hours ago and now it's slow... In the mornings when 90% of the BYC members are offline we're flying
barnie.gif
The other option is climb the "hill" and go sit amongst the land mines in the neighbour's cow pasture with the laptop to catch a signal, so I guess I can't complain. I did the pasture thing a few times, actually. It was nice to get some exercise and some fresh air while doing my emails and checking in on BYC and the views are spectacular from up there
smile.png
So is the wind. And the rain. And the mud. And it's dark when 90% of BYC is online. The cows were cute though...
And the general local opinion is that the phone line's not going to get fixed. Our landlord is enormously grateful that we got connected, most of the time. I'm here though, slowly, but surely. And grateful that we have internet after taking it for granted that we'll get it, regardless of where in the civilised world we move to. It's better than nothing!

We just moved into a house not far from the nearest town, but inconveniently placed on the side of a... well, you can't call it a hill, but it's blocking the internet signals. The national ones as well as the local ones. So landline it is. Oops, branch fell on the line. 6 Weeks ago. Can't get company to come fix it. Landlord phoned, neighbour phoned, I phoned... Still waiting. We finally, after 2 weeks, found an internet service provider that miraculously covers our little patch, but it's on-off. Was unable to get on about 2 hours ago and now it's slow... In the mornings when 90% of the BYC members are offline we're flying
barnie.gif
The other option is climb the "hill" and go sit amongst the land mines in the neighbour's cow pasture with the laptop to catch a signal, so I guess I can't complain. I did the pasture thing a few times, actually. It was nice to get some exercise and some fresh air while doing my emails and checking in on BYC and the views are spectacular from up there
smile.png
So is the wind. And the rain. And the mud. And it's dark when 90% of BYC is online. The cows were cute though...
And the general local opinion is that the phone line's not going to get fixed. Our landlord is enormously grateful that we got connected, most of the time. I'm here though, slowly, but surely. And grateful that we have internet after taking it for granted that we'll get it, regardless of where in the civilised world we move to. It's better than nothing!

OMG yup same thing! **** hills!
somad.gif

Our house is the green roof and I'm only halfway up the one hill. BYC is one of the few websites I can get on, Tumblr and facebook won't load but this site will. Before we got a landline if we wanted to make a call we had to go to the top of the hill where there is actual cell phone service.

Do you have dial up?

I live in the boonies, and we have cable internet. It was unacceptable at first, and we harassed the internet provider. It shouldn't be that bad. There may be something wrong with your internet box. However, if you are going by dial up - yeah, it's going to be awful.

Yep, i know the feeling, yes it's better than dial up.. but it's sketchy some days. High winds knock it sideways... and were in a valley subject to frequent high winds
roll.png

That's another problem here. Cellphone reception is patchy. I found it's best when I'm outside, which is a bit of a pain as it rains often! I kinda hope we'll prove everyone wrong and get this line fixed LOL The guy who came to put our TV dish up laughed when I told him about it. He reckons it won't happen..
You know this is something else I've noticed. I can sometimes not for the life of me get into gmail, but I can always load BYC, even if it goes slow. Go BYC
thumbsup.gif

Our cell service is actually good lol Funny enough my oldest kids boyfriend who lives in the town over.. in a 'burb set-up my cell reception is awful... i mean totally, dicey.. real odd.

Back
Top Bottom