The Bird Run question

Tree Goat

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Waldorf, MD
Poultry Pals

I haven't decided what kind of fencing I will use for the huge run for the birdies (four turkeys and six hens). In the mean time, what is the risk of letting the birds (all 8 weeks old) out of the coop for a few hours? Will they naturally go back to the coop, or will I have to round them up? Should I stay and guard the birds, or let nature take it's course? Thanks in advance.

Poultry Pals

I haven't decided what kind of fencing I will use for the huge run for the birdies (four turkeys and six hens). In the mean time, what is the risk of letting the birds (all 8 weeks old) out of the coop for a few hours? Will they naturally go back to the coop, or will I have to round them up? Should I stay and guard the birds, or let nature take it's course? Thanks in advance.
How long have they been in the coop?
Good to keep them confined there for a week or so before allowing outside.
Often good to start free ranging late in the day, an hour or so before roosting time, so they won't wander far and you will see if they come back to roost at dusk.

It all depends on the birds you have selected for your free ranging. For our large run we use 1x4x4' welded wire in 100 foot lengths on posts we set in concrete. Our back run is the same 1x4x6' on posts. The birds we keep back there roost high and let themselves in and out every day. Until recently we have it turned into a dual use pad for momma hens raising babies too, but they get the 4x4x8 section of an 8 foot structure. If you are selecting breeds that are good foragers and avoid predators well you won't run into many problems with predation and can free range them at will.

Regardless here is a pdf file on breed selection scrapped off the livestock converncy's website. I do feel they give my Sumatra less credit than deserved as they have been bulletproof free rangers. We have rescued stunned hawks who slam into the house trying to get at them. The setter or non setter option is a big area to consider unless you want to learn how to deal with broody hens.

Also, we keep silkies too, those require us to push them in and let them out at every sunrise and sunset. Soooooo, it just depends upon the fowl you keep. Much also depends on you main household fencing and if you have unstimulated neighborhood dogs running at large. They will take your chicken in a heartbeat to use as chew toys.

Attachments

• pickachicken.pdf
    382.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It all depends on the birds you have selected for your free ranging. For our large run we use 1x4x4' welded wire in 100 foot lengths on posts we set in concrete. Our back run is the same 1x4x6' on posts. The birds we keep back there roost high and let themselves in and out every day. Until recently we have it turned into a dual use pad for momma hens raising babies too, but they get the 4x4x8 section of an 8 foot structure. If you are selecting breeds that are good foragers and avoid predators well you won't run into many problems with predation and can free range them at will.

Regardless here is a pdf file on breed selection scrapped off the livestock converncy's website. I do feel they give my Sumatra less credit than deserved as they have been bulletproof free rangers. We have rescued stunned hawks who slam into the house trying to get at them. The setter or non setter option is a big area to consider unless you want to learn how to deal with broody hens.

Also, we keep silkies too, those require us to push them in and let them out at every sunrise and sunset. Soooooo, it just depends upon the fowl you keep. Much also depends on you main household fencing and if you have unstimulated neighborhood dogs running at large. They will take your chicken in a heartbeat to use as chew toys.
Thanks for the info. I have six ISA Brown hens and four Broad Breasted white turkey breed. I'll let them out tomorrow and observe their behavior.

Regarding the food and water question I had; at night when chickens roost, do they need food and water available?
They only need feed and water when they are awake.
I'm sorry, but that coop is not going to hold 4 turkeys and 6 chickens much past maybe 6 weeks old...let alone their feed and water.
Do you have a larger coop built or planned for long term housing?

I'm sorry, but that coop is not going to hold 4 turkeys and 6 chickens much past maybe 6 weeks old...let alone their feed and water.
Will have to build onto this coop to ensure birds have more personal space; "I can see clearly now...."

How long have they been in the coop?
Good to keep them confined there for a week or so before allowing outside.
Often good to start free ranging late in the day, an hour or so before roosting time, so they won't wander far and you will see if they come back to roost at dusk.
Aart,

Amazing mind telepathy. What you wrote is exactly what I did!!! The birds had been in the coop for about ten days and they were getting very restless! So, about 1800 I let all ten (4 turkeys and 6 hens) out of the coop. I was amazed they didn't stray off too far and followed me around the property! They were out for a few hours flying around and pecking and I walked them back to the coop. I put the hens in the nesting area and the last I checked they were all in one box hunkered down, and the turkeys were all balled up together sleeping.

Should I place food and water in the nesting area? I read let them be with no food or water. What is your experience?

Tomorrow, I begin installing the 50x30 foot run. Thanks, Jim

I put the hens in the nesting area and the last I checked they were all in one box hunkered down, and the turkeys were all balled up together sleeping.
They are sleeping in nests?
Bad habit.
Block nests off so they use the roosts.
Is this your coop?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/condo-is-ready.1368813/

Should I place food and water in the nesting area? I read let them be with no food or water. What is your experience?
I like the feed and water in the coop, because:
My run is not weather proof.
My run is not wild bird proof, don't want those little buggers in with my chickens.
Power source for heated waterer needs protection.
It's just plain easier for me to tend to them, especially in winter.
But my coop is in part of a large shed where there is storage for feed.

Yes, that is my coop in the link. Last night was first night I put the hens in the upper nesting box area that has two roosting bars over the poop drawers in front of the four nesting boxes (see pic showing "one" nesting bar; I have two nesting bars there now). I guess I'll have to block off the nesting area so the roosting bars are the only option available for night roosting?

Regarding the food and water question I had; at night when chickens roost, do they need food and water available? I have the food and water permanently in the small enclosed run area in the coop. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2
I'm building separate lean-to quarters for the turkeys. So the coop for the chickens, a lean-to for the turkeys (from what I read turkeys do not need an enclosed shelter), and a huge fenced in run for all, and all birds will be released to free range daily for a few hours.

Regarding your comment on roosting, should I block off the nest boxes, thereby coaxing the birds to roost on the two roosting bars over the poop trays?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom