THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Day 7 updates:

Well, all this worrying and anxiety has been answered with the candling of yesterday evening. With all this education and personal experience, I feel like I've grown an inch with the eggs. LOL.
Moving on... so yesterday evening, I candle all the eggs. They all look very good and it was great to see all the little blood vessels scatter all over the place. The creation of life is truly a miracle no matter what form or animal it is. (well, except ticks
somad.gif
).

Of the 24 eggs, only one look a little suspicious as if it isn't developing. I'm going to post 3 pictures below:

#1) below is the egg that looks like it's not developing and the air cell is not very visible like the rest. Thoughts on this egg?

#2) below is an egg that's developing very nicely, turned side-way; with air cell visible on the left side and in the middle is the developing chick.

#3) below is an egg that's really developing and you can visibly see, what looks like the head of the chick, which was moving during candling.

Can't wait to candle again on day 14th.

*psssst.. if you have a must want to know the brand of candler I'm using, I'd be happy to share as well.
lau.gif

Last edited:
[COLOR=0000FF]Day 7 updates:[/COLOR] Well, all this worrying and anxiety has been answered with the candling of yesterday evening. With all this education and personal experience, I feel like I've grown an inch with the eggs. LOL. Moving on... so yesterday evening, I candle all the eggs. They all look very good and it was great to see all the little blood vessels scatter all over the place. The creation of life is truly a miracle no matter what form or animal it is. (well, except ticks :mad: ). Of the 24 eggs, only one look a little suspicious as if it isn't developing. I'm going to post 3 pictures below: #1) below is the egg that looks like it's not developing and the air cell is not very visible like the rest. Thoughts on this egg? #2) below is an egg that's developing very nicely, turned side-way; with air cell visible on the left side and in the middle is the developing chick. #3) below is an egg that's really developing and you can visibly see, what looks like the head of the chick, which was moving during candling. Can't wait to candle again on day 14th. *psssst.. if you have a must want to know the brand of candler I'm using, I'd be happy to share as well. :lau
I have that same candler! First egg looks clear, but I never toss anything until lockdown. See? You have a Brinsea, nothing to worry about
1f603.png

I have that same candler! First egg looks clear, but I never toss anything until lockdown. See? You have a Brinsea, nothing to worry about
1f603.png
Charmin' Candler! lol -using a bear to charm a chick. lol

I have to agree, hopefully egg #1 will display some signs of life on day 14th. Candling is pretty exciting, I can empathize with that "slippery slope" comment you mentioned earlier.

Now if we can just put a fast forward (time-warp) feature on the Brinsea, we'd be all set.
jumpy.gif

Charmin' Candler! lol   -using a bear to charm a chick. lol

I have to agree, hopefully egg #1 will display some signs of life on day 14th. Candling is pretty exciting, I can empathize with that "slippery slope" comment you mentioned earlier.  

Now if we can just put a fast forward (time-warp) feature on the Brinsea, we'd be all set. :jumpy
I'm sure that will be on the 2016 model

What's the candler you all are using?

So Wed noon was lockdown, for first 15 eggs. I set a second eco as a hatcher. When it arrived, noticed the glass thermometer is not in the same location-- pushed toward center at least an inch. It was reading 97 degrees. I used the spot ck to find the temp in front as I was taught before and to closely match my other (that read 99.5 from day 1).

I did not find felt or the cloths running from the troughs successfully wicked. However, eventually went with a couple 2-3 inch strip on the long ends. I can put my tubing thru the vent and attached to a funnel, add water to a sponge or felt and this would effectively raise humidity. At the start, also misted the eggs with distilled water.
Midway through day 19, I could hear a bantam chirping, by exactly day 20 start, there was an external pip. 3 hours later, hatch was complete. She is the cheerleader to the others and 8 hours into day 20, 6 more have pipped.

We have just locked down the remaining 12. I cracked one that was still clear. I think there is a second clear, but wasn't as confident, so kept it for now. In this batch is one that I cracked with one of the bars and sealed with wax. A few days ago, I saw a chick wiggling in it, so I'm hopeful. I scraped off the larger amount of wax before putting it in lockdown, also.

What's the candler you all are using?

So Wed noon was lockdown, for first 15 eggs. I set a second eco as a hatcher. When it arrived, noticed the glass thermometer is not in the same location-- pushed toward center at least an inch. It was reading 97 degrees. I used the spot ck to find the temp in front as I was taught before and to closely match my other (that read 99.5 from day 1).

I did not find felt or the cloths running from the troughs successfully wicked. However, eventually went with a couple 2-3 inch strip on the long ends. I can put my tubing thru the vent and attached to a funnel, add water to a sponge or felt and this would effectively raise humidity. At the start, also misted the eggs with distilled water.
Midway through day 19, I could hear a bantam chirping, by exactly day 20 start, there was an external pip. 3 hours later, hatch was complete. She is the cheerleader to the others and 8 hours into day 20, 6 more have pipped.

We have just locked down the remaining 12. I cracked one that was still clear. I think there is a second clear, but wasn't as confident, so kept it for now. In this batch is one that I cracked with one of the bars and sealed with wax. A few days ago, I saw a chick wiggling in it, so I'm hopeful. I scraped off the larger amount of wax before putting it in lockdown, also.
The candler in that pic was the good old flashlight/toilet paper roll candler. Cheap and effective. I do, however, have a Brinsea Ova View candler now. It works good on all except the marans eggs

I'm at work and don't have time to read all pages... lol I'm thinking about buying one of these, because I've been having terrible hatches with a Hova bator. . The consensus is, everyone LOVEs theirs, right? Enable me!!

I'm at work and don't have time to read all pages... lol I'm thinking about buying one of these, because I've been having terrible hatches with a Hova bator. . The consensus is, everyone LOVEs theirs, right? Enable me!!
You will never regret buying a Brinsea. There is no comparison between the two. I don't regret spending the extra money one bit. Consider yourself enabled

Ok enablers... Thanks! I.just bought one without the turner, the budget wouldn't allow both, I'll buy the turner later. I heard that you can sort of prop it up to turn rather than turn each egg individually. Is this true?

Back
Top Bottom