The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

I posted this question on another thread yesterday but no answers. I have a mallard laying on 8 eggs. Should be due to hatch anytime now. Unsure of when she first started sitting. The air cells slanted days ago. I can see shadowing in some of the air cells, but not sure what an internal pip looks like. No external pips but have hairline cracking in most of the eggs. The babies are still moving when candled. Will the ducks peep when they have pipped? How long from an internal to the external pip should I wait to be concerned? Thanks in advance :)

Woke up this morning to this:
wee.gif

One of the eggs is pipped, couldn't see the others, and didn't want to upset Jack, as she's already being such a patient mom.

I posted this question on another thread yesterday but no answers. I have a mallard laying on 8 eggs. Should be due to hatch anytime now. Unsure of when she first started sitting. The air cells slanted days ago. I can see shadowing in some of the air cells, but not sure what an internal pip looks like. No external pips but have hairline cracking in most of the eggs. The babies are still moving when candled. Will the ducks peep when they have pipped? How long from an internal to the external pip should I wait to be concerned? Thanks in advance :)

I was worried senseless for a couple of days on my first clutch; wondering if I should help things along - mine took nearly 48hrs from peeping and scratching to hatch, probably another day or two between movement and peeping before that too.
Be patient I'm sure they'll be fine ;)

And to Hooliganchicks - they're lovely :)

Back
Top Bottom