The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

Tux and Goldie at 8 weeks with Mother Buttless

I was getting a bit concerned about how BIG Tux was getting. Tux and Goldie both dwarf their Mom. Then I saw Tux next to AutE - my KC/Rouen drake and the similarities popped out. Tux has the long legs and more upright stance of a Runner but the bulk and some of the markings (slight) of Auti. There is still hope Tux is a girl! Is this wishful thinking?

Tux and Goldie at 8 weeks with Mother Buttless I was getting a bit concerned about how BIG Tux was getting. Tux and Goldie both dwarf their Mom. Then I saw Tux next to AutE - my KC/Rouen drake and the similarities popped out. Tux has the long legs and more upright stance of a Runner but the bulk and some of the markings (slight) of Auti. There is still hope Tux is a girl! Is this wishful thinking?
Dunno, but the 3 together make quite the handsome trio! Are you hearing quacks? @kountryboy4life love silver Mom!!

Last edited:
I have another question? hatch day is supposed to be Sunday and today I went to check on everybody and my little broodys buddy is in the nest with her. She's been doing that the last few days and kinda walking around all pouty faced I think she misses her buddy, anyways I had been running her out of there but today every time I do she comes right back, so I'm not sure if I should leave them be or keep running her out of there.
I'm currently building a new duck house and was hoping to have it done before the ducklings got here and I was trying to decide rather to move mama and the babies in there for a little while or leave her where she's at and move the other ducks. They are housed with my chickens now but I wanted to separate everybody. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm getting so excited can't wait to see what the babies look like, they eggs are from at least 3 different ducks I'm pretty sure

I have another question? hatch day is supposed to be Sunday and today I went to check on everybody and my little broodys buddy is in the nest with her. She's been doing that the last few days and kinda walking around all pouty faced I think she misses her buddy, anyways I had been running her out of there but today every time I do she comes right back, so I'm not sure if I should leave them be or keep running her out of there.
I'm currently building a new duck house and was hoping to have it done before the ducklings got here and I was trying to decide rather to move mama and the babies in there for a little while or leave her where she's at and move the other ducks. They are housed with my chickens now but I wanted to separate everybody. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Only problem is you don't know how 2 ducks will handle ducklings hatching and ducklings can get trampled on and killed accidentally I keep mama's and ducklings separate with a secure house and temp fencing for 3 weeks[maybe over protective but I have had ducklings and chicks killed when left out in the general pop] so They stay separated but everyone can still see each other. Then when time to let them out it's old news and no one pays much attention to them and they are big enough and fast enough to stray out of the way.

Only problem is you don't know how 2 ducks will handle ducklings hatching and ducklings can get trampled on and killed accidentally I keep mama's and ducklings separate with a secure house and temp fencing for 3 weeks[maybe over protective but I have had ducklings and chicks killed when left out in the general pop] so They stay separated but everyone can still see each other. Then when time to let them out it's old news and no one pays much attention to them and they are big enough and fast enough to stray out of the way. 
so I should move her before she has the ducklings?

so I should move her before she has the ducklings?
Nope now you need to think how can i keep her and duckling safe till all hatch and they can have some privacy. Chickens will kill a newly hatched duckling if it gets out of the nest it has happened many times from what i've read on here. Can you somehow use chicken wire i like the plastic chicken wire from Lowes it's so easy to put up and take down. or some scrap boards just something to give your broody and her ducklings their own space till hatch is over, then move her and ducklings to new coop or put everyone else in new one and leave mama and babes where they are. Don't try to move her now she is attached to that space as much as she is to the eggs. Keep enough room in side so the broody can have fresh water and feed and you might want to either take her out 1X a day or fix it so she can go out when she wants too. which ever is easiest. when is hatch day? She needs to be able to bathe and get rid of that broody poop some place besides the nest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom