The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

What are the most broody frequent ducks...i know muscovies and call are... We are yet to have a broody we have six swedish and one cayuga
Any breed can go broody but the broody nature has been bred out of alot of them, seems like. I have Muscovy's and right now I have 3 broodys sitting on nothing they don't care if they don't have eggs under them, they are crazy. I know some have had Runners sit and hatch out ducklings. a good friend just had her Blue swedish hatch out a duckling Pekins can too, you just never know from one duck to the next. I saw some one post about her Buff was broody.

Dunno, but the 3 together make quite the handsome trio! Are you hearing quacks?

@kountryboy4life love silver Mom!!
Thank you. They are quacking but it's not quite an adult voice yet. I don't remember when my drakes got their true voices. I think I will start recording them once a week so I can track the transition for next time.

and you don't want to lose any ducks either, if they even try to brood anywhere other than in a secure place break up the nest. it isn't worth it. Snakes, rodents and other preds love eggs. and fresh on the webbed foot ducks too. 
that's true I wasn't thinking about letting her brood I was just thinking if I started taking all her eggs again she would find somewhere else to lay and I'd have to go on the hunt again. I kinda liked it when she was laying in the woodshed. Any idea how to get her to lay somewhere safe lol

I'm learning so much as I go here and sometimes the answer is right under your nose and total common sense but it takes someone else to point it out to you.

I have another question? hatch day is supposed to be Sunday and today I went to check on everybody and my little broodys buddy is in the nest with her. She's been doing that the last few days and kinda walking around all pouty faced I think she misses her buddy, anyways I had been running her out of there but today every time I do she comes right back, so I'm not sure if I should leave them be or keep running her out of there.
I'm currently building a new duck house and was hoping to have it done before the ducklings got here and I was trying to decide rather to move mama and the babies in there for a little while or leave her where she's at and move the other ducks. They are housed with my chickens now but I wanted to separate everybody. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had 2 broody Runners nesting next to each other, swapping eggs the whole time. When hatch time came, they stayed together. I tried to seperate them on 3 occasions but they went nuts - became very aggressive to other ducks, paced at the fence seperating them, etc. I relented & let them raise the ducklings together. They still herd their 6 week olds around as a team. Ducks can co-jointly raise ducklings but it is the exception rather than the rule. There is still the risk of being trampled by 2 Moms but, as I saw, a single Mom can stomp on a duckling & kill it just as well. You just have to monitor their behaviour really close when the eggs start to hatch. I try to let nature take it's course and not intervene but sometimes I have this uncontrollable urge to help smaller, weaker hatchlings. It's foolish, I know.

that's true I wasn't thinking about letting her brood I was just thinking if I started taking all her eggs again she would find somewhere else to lay and I'd have to go on the hunt again. I kinda liked it when she was laying in the woodshed. Any idea how to get her to lay somewhere safe lol
I try and make any other place not so nice to lay an egg in, had one crawl under the ramp going into one of the ducks houses she had to have done the limbo to get there, when I found her she had 7 eggs with her. I had to hardware cloth it off. I have stalls in most of my houses since I can't let the drakes sleep out in the open it would be a free for all so the girls like the stalls they have deep shaving in them and most lay in the stalls, I have one that likes to lay her egg in one of the chickens nest boxes which is a kitty litter tray with the top on it. you can also make partitions I have done that too it gives them privacy.

200x200px-ZC-1f8d7527_Broodys2014004.jpeg
very simple it has to be for me to do it.

Last edited:
I had 2 broody Runners nesting next to each other, swapping eggs the whole time. When hatch time came, they stayed together. I tried to seperate them on 3 occasions but they went nuts - became very aggressive to other ducks, paced at the fence seperating them, etc. I relented & let them raise the ducklings together. They still herd their 6 week olds around as a team. Ducks can co-jointly raise ducklings but it is the exception rather than the rule. There is still the risk of being trampled by 2 Moms but, as I saw, a single Mom can stomp on a duckling & kill it just as well. You just have to monitor their behaviour really close when the eggs start to hatch. I try to let nature take it's course and not intervene but sometimes I have this uncontrollable urge to help smaller, weaker hatchlings. It's foolish, I know. 
I bet that's cute as can be. I have a put together flock 2 I raised from a day old I have a quad that came together and the 2 on the nest came together from somewhere else we are 5 days away from hatch I think she just misses her friend is why she is in the nest with her she's spent the last few days seeming to look for her and be just kinda lost. I think I will separate them all just to give them the best chance. I understand completely the urge to wanna help. I wasn't gonna let her sit in the first place she was just so insistent. I was gonna give them away but now I don't think I'm gonna be able to I have the room so I think I will keep them even though hubby is not liking that idea lol.

I try and make any other place not so nice to lay an egg in, had one crawl under the ramp going into one of the ducks houses she had to have done the limbo to get there, when I found her she had 7 eggs with her. I had to hardware cloth it off. I have stalls in most of my houses since I can't let the drakes sleep out in the open it would be a free for all so the girls like the stalls they have deep shaving in them and most lay in the stalls, I have one that likes to lay her egg in one of the chickens nest boxes which is a kitty litter tray with the top on it. you can also make partitions I have done that too it gives them privacy.
200x200px-ZC-1f8d7527_Broodys2014004.jpeg
very simple it has to be for me to do it.
I'll have to see what I can do in the new house. She was laying in the nest box till lil moss broody took over their is a total on 3 can't figure out why she didn't use another one. Then she was laying under the ramp, then she went to the woodshed now under the bush I swear she's tired of me taking her eggs and she's hiding them from me lol

I'll have to see what I can do in the new house. She was laying in the nest box till lil moss broody took over their is a total on 3 can't figure out why she didn't use another one. Then she was laying under the ramp, then she went to the woodshed now under the bush I swear she's tired of me taking her eggs and she's hiding them from me lol
They do that especially if they are getting broody.

They do that especially if they are getting broody. 
that's kinda what I was afraid of I don't really want another broody. I'm gonna have enough little ducks running around. When I couldn't find her this morning I told my husband she'd be back in about a month with a bunch of little ones in tow

Back
Top Bottom